Sr. Project Manager 2
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The role will act as a Project Manager within the Global Projects and Engineering group. Assignment of projects will be limited to US based projects.
- Implement, and manage capital projects using best practices.
- Manage the scope, deliverables, schedule, project team, and budget for capital expenditure (CapEx) projects.
- Participate in the development and evaluation of RFP and bidder/vendor analysis of equipment and contractors.
- Prepare and update project status, schedule and cost reports within Oracle based tools (OPPM & P6) for the use of numerous BMRN departments
- Identify and oversee internal and external project team(s) composed of various BMRN engineers, EHS&S, IT, manufacturing, maintenance, and etc. personnel.
- Ensure internal employees, consultants & contractors working on any construction related projects maintain compliance with all GMP, EHS&S and security requirements, including completion and review of Job Hazard Assessments and BioMarin policies.
- Evaluate, prepare, & submit CapEx project intake forms for project submission and review by senior management.
- Assist Portfolio Managers with project information and data collection on assigned projects.
- Participate with the generation of project cost accrual information, in service dates, financial long-range planning, & other financial and planning exercises.
- For GMP projects, coordinate/support commissioning, qualification and validation group with Engineering and QA Validation groups.
- Proactively look for and recommend improvements in site processes and procedures
- Represent the Global Projects and Engineering Group with good communication and presentation skills.
- Provide monthly reporting on Projects to Management as required.
The scope of the position includes execution of US-based Capital Projects within the Global Projects group (US NMAR and non-MAR portfolios). This does not have a direct impact on revenue, expenses, capital investment, and headcount, however, failure to properly execute project management responsibilities could have a direct impact in these areas.
Minimum educational attainment:
- BS degree from an accredited university in a construction or engineering related field. Minimum 12-15 years of CapEx project management experience.
- PMP certificate highly desirable.
- Ability to work with little or no supervision: meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, provide recommendations and effectively communicate updates
- Experienced with communicating with Senior Management as well as providing direction to multiple people simultaneously
- Demonstrated self-motivator and proactive in managing long-term or on-going capital projects in balance with daily routine
- Ability to maintain Capital Projects effectively;
- Proven teamwork orientation and skills
- Must be very organized and possess strong verbal and written communications skills
- Must be proficient with Internet navigation, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project, Teams, Sharepoint), Adobe Acrobat
- Familiarity with Oracle Primavera P6
- Should be flexible to working outside the core business hours (occasionally on short notice, and a limited basis) as needed
- Proven ability to manage multiple and fast-moving priorities
- Strong organizational planning, and understanding of portfolio management concepts
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced collaborative team environment within a rapidly evolving business environment
- Penchant for an environment rich in constant change and conflicting requirements and proven ability to deal with the ambiguity that may arise from rapid pace of change
- Skilled at solving multi-dimensional problems with both quantitative and qualitative variables
- Expertise in relationship building, from peers to senior management; great customer service style
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to speak articulately across all levels of the company
- Ability to lead and influence others in support of company objectives
- Excellent problem solving, decision making and cross functional team building skills.
- Solid understanding of GMP and R&D project requirements
- Able to read and understand architectural and engineering plans and specifications
- Good understand of construction contract types, construction processes
- Tenant Improvement projects
- Experience in developing and implementing capital projects related to biotech facilities utilities and equipment.
- Experience with laboratory design, office remodel, and warehouse construction a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.