Scientist II, Cell Biology for Hematology (non-oncology), HSC experience preferred
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class or best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Non-oncology Hematology Research group at BioMarin is seeking a highly motivated scientist to conduct preclinical translational research evaluating potential therapeutics for severe rare genetic diseases with unmet medical needs. The successful candidate will partner closely with a team of scientists within BioMarin Research, and bioanalytical sciences to advance our most promising molecules for further development.
He/she is a highly motivated cell biologist with experience in hematologic disorders who conceives strategies, leads the development, evaluation and implementation of state-of-the-art cell-based disease models to identify novel therapeutic interventions, in support of preclinical proof-of-concept and mechanisms of actions investigations of novel therapeutics for non-malignant blood disorders. This individual is expected to be a mentor for a recognized area of technical expertise within the department.
- Provide scientific and intellectual input to guide project-related cell biology proof-of-concept and investigative efforts within the context of interdisciplinary project teams.
- Plan and execute laboratory research.
- Initiate, direct and execute the development, optimization, qualification of robust cell-based assays
- Analyze data with applicable bioinformatics tools/scientifically sound interpretation and present data at group/departmental meetings.
- Able to troubleshoot experiments based on thorough understanding of assay principles
- Author technical reports and SOPs associated with the cellular and molecular assays developed and qualified.
- Provide support to collaborating functional groups, as needed
- Work with junior research associates and scientists on experimental design, troubleshooting, assay optimization and data interpretation, if applicable.
- Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories.
- Participate in exploratory studies driving the evaluation of state-of-the-art new technology platforms, and innovative upgrades for existing assay platforms.
- Identify, develop and maintain relationships with contract research organizations to maximize group productivity and assure inclusion of latest scientific thinking and guidelines in the research plan.
- Contribute to the peer review process, both internally and externally, to help assure BioMarin translational research is conducted at the highest level of quality, integrating business and development objectives.
- Makes major contributions to scientific literature and conferences.
- A Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Genetics, Hematology or a related field with postdoctoral and at least 2+ years of industry experience are required
- Demonstrated experience in tissue culture with iPCS, primary cells (e.g. hepatocytes) and human hematopoietic cells
- Proficiency with flow cytometry including designing and optimizing multi-parameter flow cytometry panels
- Proficiency in developing and optimizing high-content imaging bioassays independently with limited guidance a plus
- Experience with confocal microscopy and live-cell imaging.
- Proficiency in various molecular biology analytical methods (qPCR or ddPCR), and other standard molecular biology techniques.
- Background in viral and non-viral gene therapy, cellular or molecular biology is a plus
- Experience with analytical and/or statistical software (e.g., JMP, Softmax Pro, XLfit, Gen5 etc.), is highly beneficial
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, team-orientated environment with aggressive timelines
- Passion for continued learning and helping others learn.
- Maintain detailed records of experimental protocols and data in electronic laboratory notebook in accordance with company policy
- Collaborative, team-oriented, consistently looks for win-win solutions to problems. Ability to interact successfully with team members from a wide variety of functional areas and all levels of contribution and expertise.
- Publication record supporting a consistent contribution to the success of research projects
- Strong communication (verbal and written) skills
Scientist 2 Level Guidelines:
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.