Sr. Accountant, Fixed Assets
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is a world leader in developing therapies to treat rare genetic diseases, and after almost two decades, BioMarin’s extensive research and development efforts continue to expand the boundaries of medicine. Guided by its commitment to the rare disease community, the Company seeks to rapidly develop first-in-class or best-in-class therapies that will make a meaningful difference to small patient populations. BioMarin has several commercialized products and multiple clinical and pre-clinical product candidates in its pipeline. The Company’s clinical success on behalf of its rare disease patients has produced robust revenue growth from BioMarin’s existing products.
BioMarin Finance is growing rapidly with the overall Company and is developing into a cutting-edge global finance organization. It has operations in over 40 countries that drive significant global accounting and finance complexity. The Company has ambitious growth plans and has an enthusiastic global finance team that is eager to deliver a world-class accounting and finance function to BioMarin and its stakeholders. BioMarin trades on the Nasdaq under ticker BMRN and is headquartered in San Rafael, California. In 2020, BioMarin’s commercialized products delivered total revenue of $1.9 billion.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the NAM Controllership team who manage the accounting for the full North America Region. The Sr. Fixed Assets Accountant will be responsible for accounting for Fixed Assets, large Projects and Intangibles in accordance with US GAAP. The role will include a large portion of time liaising, communicating and educating BioMarin business partners. An important part of this role will be the ability to identify and execute areas for automation and scalability to include a lead role in Fixed Assets projects as well as global cross functional alignment.
This role reports to the Fixed Assets Manager but will have exposure to other NAM regional areas including the metrics, KPIs, process improvements and automations.
- Review and approve Fixed Assets requisitions in accordance with the Fixed Assets policy and GAAP, incl capitalization appropriateness.
- Review and process Fixed Assets transactions weekly.
- Analyze fixed assets by project to assess reasonableness based on information from project managers.
- Liaise with business managers to receive all necessary data attributes for Fixed Assets accounting.
- Manage Quarterly Project updates to determine the impact on the accounting.
- Provide guidance to the business and FP&A on Fixed Assets accounting, including presentations and training.
- Contract review to determine the correct US GAAP Accounting.
- Processing Fixed Assets additions and any research and communications required to properly perform these duties by defined timelines.
- Month-end close include analyzing, recording and reporting on fixed assets and intangibles.
- Perform monthly Fixed Assets and Intangibles reconciliations and variance analysis.
- Completion of 10Q and 10K disclosure support for submission to the External reporting team
- Identify and execute areas for automation and streamlining to include taking a lead role in projects and process transformation.
- Create and prepare meaningful metrics and KPIs for Senior Leadership.
The successful candidate will be an experienced accountant with the ability to prioritize and multi-task, work both independently in a fast-paced dynamic environment and be a strong collaborator with peers. Candidate must possess a strong desire to learn, grow and develop their skills while providing enhancement to the current accounting function. Attention to detail, good analytical skills and strong communication skills are required in addition to previous experience of working with an ERP within a public company.
A minimum of 4 years general finance and accounting experience in a publicly traded company or public accounting including minimum 2 years working in a role with direct general ledger and financial close responsibilities.
Excellent follow-through and communication skills and ability to work independently and in a complex and fast-paced environment.
Advanced experience with Excel, ERP system experience required as related to general ledger, close and consolidation (Oracle EBS R12 and HFM preferred).
Bachelor’s in Business Administration, with an emphasis in Accounting
Business contacts, FP&A, Corporate Accounting, External Reporting, Internal and External Auditors, and other BioMarin departmentsAbsent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.