Senior / Medical Science Liaison, Gene Therapy for Hemophilia A - US / Western Region
This Sr / MSL position is based in the Western Region of the US.
BioMarin Global Medical Affairs (GMAF) offers scientific and clinical expertise to support BioMarin’s marketed and pipeline products through the direction and planning of scientific publications and congress posters/presentations, support of scientific education and research, liaising with the medical community, response to incoming inquiries about BioMarin’s products and therapeutic areas, leadership and execution of Medical Affairs congress booths, and leadership of the execution of Medical Affairs trials.
Within BioMarin Medical Affairs, the Medical Sciences group, consisting of Medical Directors (MDs) and Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs), is responsible for being the subject matter experts on developmental and commercial product scientific and medical knowledge, setting the Medical Affairs product strategy and leading global Medical Affairs activities for each BioMarin product progressing from pipeline status through product launch to post approval status. This includes collaborating with cross-functional stakeholders to define product strategy, developing and communicating key scientific messages to stakeholders in preparation for a commercial product launch; leading efforts to develop additional scientific evidence to support commercial product viability; and acting as the critical link between BioMarin and the external health care practitioners using BioMarin products by supporting scientific and medical knowledge dissemination.
The Hemophilia Medical Science Liaison (MSL or Sr. MSL) - West Coast - is a regional position supporting the scientific and business interests of BioMarin by cultivating current and future thought leaders in academic and clinical medicine at the local, regional and national level through in-depth, fair-balanced scientific discussions and interactions. The MSL will support clinical trials through company-sponsored research, the initiation and development of Investigator Research proposals (IRs) and support of BioMarin registries, safety studies and other clinical programs. These thought leader interactions will complement or supplement the overall Hemophilia product development plan. The MSL must possess in depth knowledge of BioMarin’s approved products, agents in the pipeline, and all associated disease state areas. The MSL must possess the capacity to coordinate and manage solo initiatives or partnerships with external partners independently or with a minimum amount of oversight. This position will report into the Global Medical Affairs department and work closely with the Commercial and the Clinical Teams.
- Develop and execute Hemophilia scientific plans within their region to meet company-defined goals within corporate and regulatory guidelines for products both marketed and in development.
- Visit potential research sites to determine the site’s ability to conduct and accrue within clinical research studies and registries (i.e. patient volume, research experience, methodologies, competing studies)
Implementation and coordination of external research (Investigator Research) intended to support the clinical and scientific strategy for the Hemophilia team.
- Identify and build mutually beneficial long-term relationships with key Hemophilia Treatment Centers, Investigators and key institutions to address current and future business needs.
- Support the clinical department by forwarding potential investigators for other BioMarin products in development.
- Maintain clinical and technical expertise in Hemophilia therapeutic area; review scientific journals, attend scientific and key technical meetings and partner with medical, research and commercial teams
Conducts and analyzes literature searches to provide clinical insights for North American Medical Affairs.
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of both Hemophilia clinical strategies and priorities .
- Deliver high quality, scientific and fair-balanced discussions and presentations on BioMarin products to physicians and other key external customers.
- Provide medical support of BioMarin products during scientific symposia.
- Identify and recommend speakers for BioMarin’s Speaker’s Bureau and Advisory Boards.
- Assist in the site level management of the publication plan timelines
- Provide clinical education support for internal customers
- Proactively provides feedback on emerging clinical/competitive trends
- Assure compliance with BioMarin operational guidelines
- This position requires at least 3 years of experience in biotech/pharmaceutical preferably working in hemophilia. For a Senior MSL post, at least 5 years of experience in biotech/pharmaceutical working in hemophilia.
- Ability to quickly and easily learn new scientific and technical information as well as ability to interpret key information and translate into educational and research needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Project management understanding and experience
- Position requires 60-75% travel for field and home office obligations
- Experience in product launch development and execution
- Experience in product strategy and execution
- Knowledge of regulations impacting Medical Affairs and field activities in the pharmaceutical industry
- Based in the Western United States preferable near a metro airport
- Bachelor of Science in a clinical science
- Advanced degree preferred