Executive Director, Media Relations & Product Communications
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are seeking an experienced media relations strategist to enhance company’s brand and position BioMarin as an innovative industry leader during this period of significant growth. With eight marketed products – and ongoing launches in hemophilia and achondroplasia – BioMarin has a compelling story to tell. We are seeking an individual to help us broaden awareness of the company’s products, pipeline and world-class expertise in genetic discovery. Reporting to the SVP and Chief Communications Officer, this individual will have extensive experience in media relations at a biopharmaceutical company, deep expertise in the biopharmaceutical industry and well-established relationships with top-tier reporters.
The Executive Director, Media Relations & Product Communications will partner closely with stakeholders across the company, including the Worldwide Research & Development organization, Commercial brand team and Investor Relations, to ensure that communications activities are aligned with the company’s direction and goals, and in support of the needs of the business.
The ideal candidate will have 15-20 years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry, including as a company spokesperson, and bring deep expertise in product communications, issues management and healthcare policy.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the development and execution of a global media strategy that enhances awareness of the BioMarin brand, emphasizing the innovation of the company’s products and world-class expertise in genetic discovery
- Build and oversee the company’s first Product Communications team to position BioMarin and its products in increasingly competitive markets
- Act as a trusted advisor within the team and across the organization, serving as a key spokesperson for BioMarin with media
- Anticipate and lead response to media inquiries
- Identify high-impact stories and content to amplify internally and externally in support of the needs of the business
- Position BioMarin’s executives and researchers as scientific thought leaders, identifying external speaking opportunities and industry conferences that reach key audiences
- Anticipate and prepare the company for issues management/crisis communications related to BioMarin specifically and the industry at large
- Work collaboratively with Europe & Canada/Intercontinental Communications leads to build brand awareness and establish BioMarin as a trusted partner globally
- Refine the company’s process for media monitoring in partnership with company’s PR agency
- Leverage analytics and data to evaluate the impact of stories to ensure the company is targeting the right publications and channels
- Collaborate with Digital & Social Media team to amplify and augment earned media messaging with BioMarin-owned content
- At least 15-20 years of public relations experience in the biopharmaceutical industry
- A proven track record in media relations, sound judgment and deep relationships with key reporters/publications
- Excellent writer and natural storyteller with superior verbal communications skills
- Ability to influence senior leaders and build consensus across all levels of the organization, manage people and work as part of a growing team
- Experience serving as a company spokesperson for a publicly traded biopharmaceutical company
- Strong track record with issues management/crisis communications
- Demonstrated knowledge of regulations governing communications for a publicly traded biopharmaceutical company and deep understanding of the healthcare policy environment
- BS/BA in science, communications, liberal arts and advanced degree in communications, public relations, journalism or business preferred
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.