Associate Director, Corporate Strategy & Business Development
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
This role will report to Brinda Balakrishnan, Group Vice President of Business Development and Corporate Strategy.
The Director, of BD and Corporate Strategy will serve as a key member of the team, working closely with cross functional partners and the executive management team to advance pre-clinical and early clinical opportunities and initiatives that support the corporate vision and goals.
These initiatives include developing a search strategy for non-gene therapy assets, buy-side activities, sell-side activities, and corporate strategy projects.
The Director will play a leading role in developing strategic plans to enter and expand new business opportunities with a specific focus on rare diseases, drive the business development process externally with biopharmaceutical companies targeting licensing/acquisition of key therapeutic assets, R&D collaborations, and related collaborations.
The Director of Pre-Clinical and Clinical Business Development, will be responsible fr prospecting, early search and evaluation, conducting diligence, and managing transactions for assets / opportunities that advance BioMarin’s rare disease product pipeline.
- Maintain contacts and relationships related to external opportunities consistent with company strategy
- Be the disease specific SME by understanding the disease biology, influential KOLs, treatment paradigm, new and emerging therapeutics
- Conduct/manage primary and secondary market research as part of evaluating new product development opportunities. Generate revenue forecasts, P&L models, and NPV analyses for deals
- Attend scientific and medical conferences to stay abreast of new developments in key therapeutic areas
- Identify, develop, and nurture scientific and business relationships within bio-pharmaceutical companies as well as internal stakeholders
- Work with internal research, development, commercial and financial experts on evaluation, due diligence and initial product development plan for proposed transactions. This includes supporting the overall product evaluation process, including clinical/scientific assessments, evaluation of the commercial opportunity, analysis of the competitive landscape, and financial modeling
- Manage internal due diligence process. Lead and manage cross-functional interactions with Clinical, Non Clinical, Commercial, Regulatory, Finance, IP, and Manufacturing, to conduct detailed evaluation process and prioritize and execute on transactions.
- In conjunction with evaluation team, prioritize and license best-in-class assets as basis for new rare disease therapies
- Participate in structuring and negotiation of term sheets
- Develop agreements for licensing and acquisition transactions
- Ensure individual and departmental goals are achieved by providing leadership, team support and driving other key initiatives
- MD and/or PhD in Rare Diseases with "Deal Sheet"
- Robust understanding of the full drug development process, life-cycle management and commercialization of therapeutics (rare disease preferred)
- Strong EQ combined with scientific/technical acumen of clinical developement process
- Scientifically Strategic and willingness to "own" the process
- Excellent leadership/influencing skills are required to manage the internal stakeholders (e.g. Research, Drug Development, Commercial, Market Access,etc.) as well as, external alliances
- Track record of owning, driving, and closing projects from inception to execution, to include valuation, diligence, deal engineering and leading negotiations
- A strategic thinker with outstanding business instincts who can help chart the course and translate into actionable, value-creating results for the company
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills with the ability to make sound business judgments
- Energetic, resourceful self-starter with high integrity, strong executive presence and the ability to work effectively in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that requires "win-win" collaboration at all levels
- Top-Tier Venture Capital experience is a +
- MD and/or PhD required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.