Director Medical Communications
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Director is a leadership position in SCE with substantial strategic input across BioMarin for assigned product(s) or therapeutic area(s). The Director will focus on shaping and defining scientific message platforms and related publication plans for assigned products, including synthesizing stakeholder input, ensuring alignment cross-functionally, and conducting gap analyses for defining the publication strategy. The Director will also lead content creation activities including oversight of authors and ensure compliance with all BioMarin publication processes. This position may also oversee the advancement and implementation of end-to-end publication process and scientific document development including publication and document development management systems and tools, and training of end users. This position may be responsible for supporting a SCE functional team with leadership activities including managing staff, budgets, and departmental activities.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
Scientific Messaging Development
- Identify and monitor key literature and high-impact resources from which scientific messages can be derived.
- Build/manage scientific messaging database to support cross-functional messaging needs.
- Review cross-departmental materials to ensure alignment with scientific messaging database.
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to identify novel messaging needs/gaps; ensure identified gaps are represented in strategic publication plan.
Publication Strategy and Planning
- Lead regular publication planning meetings to ensure organizational alignment on timelines, strategies, and gaps.
- Oversee planning and development of publication concepts that address identified gaps and manuscripts with foci on scientific research, clinical study outcomes, health economic and outcomes research, value and access issues, and stakeholder education.
- Continue to expand SCE capabilities to advance scientific knowledge via publications and congress activities and scientific content development across BioMarin.
- Provide Scientific Communications & Exchange support to the expanding scope of Worldwide Research and Development activities.
- Manage departmental workflow and deliverables for the EUMEA Region.
Publication & Scientific Content Creation
- Research, draft, and edit scientific and medical manuscripts, abstracts, posters, and presentations; and scientific content of slide decks and standard response letters to incorporate author and reviewer comments.
- Manage agency and/or contract medical writers and/or statistical programmers, as needed.
- Oversee required graphic design for publications.
- Ensure all SCE outputs meet the highest standards of medical/scientific integrity.
- Ensure appropriate adherence to authorship and publication guidelines as stipulated by BioMarin operating procedures, ICMJE, and GPP3.
- Work closely with Biometrics, Clinical Science, Research, Global Medical Affairs, and other colleagues to ensure timely collation, interpretation, and reporting of data to support publication plans; perform or facilitate data reviews as needed.
Publication Process, Systems, & Reporting
- Oversee the strategic consideration and appropriate internal review of new abstract/publication concepts; ensure compliance with all documentation steps.
- Maintain and optimize publication management systems, including keeping user, drug, research, and study information up to date; maintaining workflow and email templates; managing built-in filtering and reporting capabilities; and monitoring integration with the internal publication review and approval systems.
- Oversee the execution of publication and scientific content graphic design of figures and tables including incorporation of subsequent change requests.
- Oversee process for finalizing documents including copyediting of manuscripts, abstracts, posters, and presentations for grammar, spelling, layout, data accuracy, correct citations, and alignment with pre-specified formats and industry standards.
Congress / Convention Management
- Lead regular planning meetings to ensure organizational alignment on congress submission timelines, strategies, and gaps.
- Work closely with Biometrics, Clinical Science, Research, Global Medical Affairs, and other colleagues to ensure timely collation, interpretation, and reporting of data to support congress activities.
- Manage all aspects of scientific poster or presentation development including identification and confirmation of presenting authors.
- Contribute and implement ideas for improving poster development process.
- Define and develop content to be shared and included at the Medical Affairs booth.
- Serve as the Scientific Communications and Exchange lead to the assigned product area and oversee the other SCE employees supporting this franchise.
- Respond to internal and external questions about any scientific content and / or publications for product area.
- Participate in cross-functional team meetings to share publication planning status and issues and maintain awareness of overall product publication plan.
- Lead SCE functional area and contribute to improvement initiatives.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of SCE work instructions.
- Participate in recruiting, hiring, promotions and team management efforts, in collaboration with HR, for SCE staff reporting to this position.
- Provide support for management of the SCE budget, including maintenance of the day-in, day-out accounting.
- The Director has mastery level competence in communication, collaboration, adaptability, and flexibility; advanced competence in communication, leadership, strategic thinking, planning, problem solving, and people management. For example:
- Communicates to audiences of all sizes comfortably; actively models and encourages open, honest, and clear communication across teams and functions; mentors and coaches team members on effective communication and listening skills.
- Holds team and/or function accountable for goal achievement by creating a shared sense of ownership for success; sets the context for delegating work tasks by linking assignments to the functional and corporate goals and objectives; capable of intervening and resolving conflicts using appropriate tools.
- Encourages an open exchange of ideas and coaches others to write and verbalize their opinions with respect, clarity, and honesty; facilitates meetings effectively across functions, promoting collaboration and accomplishing meeting objectives.
- Leads the development and implementation of strategic plans through clearly defined tactics and measurable outcomes; consistently reinforces the ways in which individual, team, and functional activities support wider organizational strategies.
- Serves as an effective point of escalation and guidance for team members, addressing issues, risks and opportunities; understands the scope of the problem and/or solution, as well as the span of control for the individual / team and advises appropriate course of action.
- Demonstrates a variety of development and coaching approaches to suit different employee situations; identifies areas for improvement and provides plans and opportunities for addressing; ensures that team members’ goals and objectives are aligned with departmental and corporate objectives.
A Director demonstrates mastery of technical competence in scientific writing; document development; publication processes, tools and compliance; medical and scientific knowledge; business acumen; and advanced technical competence in drug development and study design. For example:
- Conducts comprehensive document evaluations including evaluation of statistical presentations, research methods, quality and completeness of content.
- Mentors and guides teams on scientific writing and publishing methods and the editing / review process.
- Communicates big picture regulatory and compliance considerations that impact publication plans and activities to relevant GMAF functions.
- Develops comprehensive understanding of therapeutic area research, works with other functions in BioMarin to identify scientific and medical knowledge gaps, and develop strategies to address gaps in order to drive publication strategies.
- Understands the importance of developing and maintaining a strong competitive advantage and consistently prioritizes scientific/development activities in support business/commercial interests.
- Understands how post-marketing or clinical studies fit into overall product objectives and strategies.
- Accurately interprets statistical outputs into relevant insights that impact strategies and plans.
BioMarin offers comprehensive career development including guidance, targeted training opportunities, and mentorship programming. A career development pathway for GMAF has been defined and is available to employees of BioMarin.
The Director may manage a team of multiple direct reports.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Requires an advanced degree in life or health sciences; PhD preferred or Masters degree with significant experience.
- 10 or more years of relevant experience in medical communications, publication planning and/or medical writing.