Scientist II / Senior Scientist I for AAV Gene Therapy, Research
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Genetics Research and Delivery group is seeking a Scientist 2 / Senior Scientist 1 with strong background in virology. The candidate should have background in viral / AAV (adeno associated virus) life cycle, cellular processes which impact transduction, and effects on transcription and translation of cellular genes. Candidate is expected to apply these areas of investigation towards the characterization of novel capsids ex vivo and in vivo, tissue transduction specificity, and design of AAV therapeutic vectors.
Candidate is expected to work in a matrix environment with other groups in Research and Development and Technical Operations. Candidate is expected to devote majority of time to laboratory activities and work on exploratory and pipeline projects.
- PhD or equivalent with a strong background in viral and cellular biology, background in AAV biology is desirable
- A combination of academic training and biotechnology experience is required (4-5 years in a biotech setting is desirable)
- Competency in laboratory techniques for analysis of proteins and nucleic acids, and cell biology is required
- Experience in mass spectrometry, especially, the analysis of intact capsid proteins is desirable
- Supervisory experience of PhD and non-PhD level associates is highly desirable
Experience & Education:
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
Sr. Scientist 1:
- PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 5+ years industry experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.