Director, Operational Excellence
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Director, Operational Excellence
The position is dedicated to business process reengineering (analysis, mapping and optimization) to enable the routine delivery of exceptional business process performance within the TOPS Organization. This position is within the BioMarin Supply Chain organization (SCOPE) in Technical Operations (TOPS), chairs the Global TOPS Operational Excellence Council, manages the global continuous operations improvement portfolio and is accountable for the successful delivery of transformational initiatives in support of our strategic priorities.
- The role chairs the Operational Excellence Council which oversees and manages the global operational excellence portfolio and programs in support Technical Operations Globally;
- The role leads a team that delivers challenging results by leading complex cross-functional business process improvement initiatives using defined Lean Six Sigma and Business Process Reengineering tools. The team provides some business operations support some Supply Chain, functions
- The role will leverage the TOPs End to End Business Process Framework to define, optimize and maintain business processes;
- The role will work with the OE council members to document and routinely update the Technical Operations Operational Excellence Strategy and the operating model, used across Technical Operations, that defines the process used for improvement idea intake and prioritization, standard tools and templates, and standard work for Business Process Management and project/portfolio management;
- The role will partner with operational excellence leaders and professionals across BioMarin to identify and promote best practices identified through successful project delivery and through external benchmarking;
- The role will work with the OE council to deploy and maintain the metrics hierarchy we used to cascade and track progress against strategic objectives across Technical Operations;
The role reports into the Executive Director, Global Supply Chain and is based in Novato, California.
Detailed responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Establish strong working relationships with operational excellence professionals across BioMarin to drive improvements in process capability and efficiency, right first time performance, risk mitigation and inspection readiness;
- Collaborate with business leaders and the OE council to prioritize transformational improvement proposals to be executed either as TOPS strategic initiatives and/or as network improvement projects tracked through the appropriate portfolio;
- Work closely with Business Analysts and Information Management resources to ensure that technology investments are only made where the enabling business process has been established and fully deployed, with clearly identified ownership and accountabilities with necessary and appropriate training, policy, procedures, and instructions.
- Lead cross-functional project teams to
- Implement prioritized improvement efforts including major transformational initiatives using agile methods to fail rapidly and iterate until the desired process performance capability; - Use meaningful leading, lagging and process capability measures and root cause analysis to analyze the drivers of performance;
- Fully realize the benefits of successful installation of validated improvements by institutionalizing and operationalizing the improvements (with clear ownership and sponsorship to secure documented accountabilities);
- Leverage TOPs communications to recognize best practices, excellent delivery and exceptional results;
- Operate with a high degree of autonomy and professionalism and prioritize workload in accordance with business goals;
- Work with OE Council to establish and administer an aligned network program for Lean, Green and Black Belt Training and Certification;
- Collaborative Leadership - Ability to influence with or without authority, facilitate groups with diverse perspectives, bring teams to consensus/alignment. High tolerance for ambiguity and able to create order from chaos. Builds credibility through solid relationships and solid track record of results.
- Ownership and Accountability – Takes accountability for actions, drives results, and able to learn from mistakes. Delivers on promises, goals, and expectations. Makes quality decisions and resolves problems with minimal delay as appropriate. Asks “what can I do to help?”
- Communication - Ability to communicate effectively up and down, at all levels of the organization, present complex and/or new ideas with clarity and simplicity. Ability to draft and deliver clear and concise procedures or business process documents.
- Planning - Excellent planning and prioritization skills with the ability to multitask and adapt. Able to synthesize large amounts of information. Able to deliver results despite shifting environment.
- Analytical Problem Solving – Ability to identify problems, define problem statement clearly and accurately and apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify data-driven root causes. Innovative and effective in solution development, risk mitigation, and execution.
- Customer focus - Partners with customers, looks ahead to predict future customer needs. Manages expectations.
- Science, Engineering Business Masters degree required. 15-20 years of business/operations experience required
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt or Master Black Belt Certification required.
- APICS certification preferable.
- Minimum 12 years of bio-tech/pharmaceutical operations experience required with a proven track record of successfully leading, facilitating, managing, and delivering large, cross-functional, business process improvement (Operational Excellence) initiatives.
- Minimum of 12 years of project management/management experience required, managing a range of small and large projects and teams.
- Sound knowledge of cGMPs and equivalent industry regulations.
- Knowledge and previous work experience with process mapping, Lean Six Sigma and Business Process Reengineering.
- Working knowledge of electronic GMP systems (Trackwise, LIMS, CMMS, Oracle EBS, SAP, etc.) preferred.
- Working knowledge of business process management Software (Pega7, Blue Works, Oracle BPM, etc.) preferred.
- Familiarity with Visio or other process mapping tools.
- Knowledge of performance measurement tools and metrics.
- Excellent facilitation, change management, interpersonal and problem solving skills required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.