Intern - Biophysical Characterization of Gene Therapy Molecules
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Summer Intern Position in biophysical characterization group within Process Sciences
Biophysical Characterization group is involved in biochemical and biophysical characterization of different protein based drug products including enzymes for enzyme replacement or enzyme substitution therapies, peptides as modulators of metabolic processes, and vectors for the delivery of gene therapy products. Our group is focused at understanding all the aspects of protein structure and functionality to further provide information to develop methods for the production of pure and stable biological drug products.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry. The 2020 internship will focus on biophysical characterization of AAV capsid particles used as vehicles in gene therapy platforms using multiple techniques like Analytical ultra-centrifugation, Fluorescence Spectroscopy, Circular Dichroism, Multi Angle Light Scattering, Size and Anion Exclusion HPLC.
- Carry out well-defined experiments
- Make detailed observations and provide quantitative analysis of data
- Follow written procedures, noting when they need updating; may assist in rewriting procedures.
- Keep accurate and detailed laboratory records.
- Communicate daily results and summarize progress with supervisor by oral update and/or written report.
- Troubleshoot, rapidly propose solutions and/or seek help.
- BS/MS degree in Biology, Biochemistry, or similar field of study.
- Demonstrated experience in biochemistry and molecular biology technique. Experience in the biotechnology industry a plus.
- Experience with biophysical techniques is preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and be able to maintain careful attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience keeping accurate and detailed laboratory records.
- Enjoy a challenging research and development environment working with multidisciplinary teams.
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
BENEFITS OF A BIOMARIN INTERNSHIP:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.