Associate Medical Director, Discovery Medicine, Cardiology, Global Clinical Development
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin is a world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide significant benefit to patients who live with serious genetic diseases. BioMarin is engaged in the discovery, research, translation, and development of targeted therapies intended to correct underlying drivers of disease. We aim to provide transformational therapies in diseases of significant burden of illness and medical unmet need.
BioMarin’s Discovery Medicine is a group of physician-scientists that support pipeline advancement and growth of the clinical portfolio. As an early clinical development function, our group of physician scientists link research initiatives and technical assessments of external innovation to areas of development based on fundamental understanding of genetics, molecular mechanisms, disease phenotypes, and medical need in specific patient populations. We seek a cardiology-trained physician-scientist to support the early clinical development of a broad portfolio of programs in genetic heart diseases.
- Support cardiac programs within Discovery Medicine as a primary early clinical lead
- Help design and conduct early clinical studies, from natural history through treatment proof-of-mechanism clinical trials
- Author translational plans based on research results
- Interrogate natural history and disease progression of therapeutic indication in order to plan a development strategy encompassing biomarkers, endpoints, and target patient population
- Subject matter expertise of genetically driven heart disease by keeping current with literature, meetings, and disease pipeline
- Work collaboratively with research and clinical groups to advance programs
- Early clinical development representation to cross-functional teams
- Help generate development plans, draft product characterization, first-in-human and proof of concept trial strategy, draft clinical development plans
- Early clinical representative in investigative new drug (IND) filing team
- Represent early clinical development in scientific advisory and academic meetings
- Identify high value therapeutic targets for genetic cardiac diseases and contribute clinical expertise to groups involved in disease mapping and pipeline strategy
- Work with Research, Innovation Accelerator and Business Development to facilitate clinical diligence of new development opportunities
- Participate in scientific advisory boards convened by BioMarin to support the research initiatives in cardiac genetics
- MD or MD/PhD required
- Strong record of academic, basic and/or translational research productivity
- Solid foundation and interest in mechanisms of genetically driven heart diseases
- Board certified or eligible in adult or pediatric cardiology
- Interest and curiosity in development challenges
- Effective and impactful in cross-functional team structure
- Excellent communication skills, with a desire to develop strong internal and external collaborations
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.