Scientist 1 or 2, AAV Purification - Gene Therapy Research
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are looking for a highly motivated team member with extensive experience in AAV downstream purification to be a key contributor in the Genetics Research and Delivery Group. Incumbent will be responsible for supporting the purification of research grade AAV vectors and downstream process development efforts within the Genetics Research and Delivery Group.
- Support the purification of research grade AAV vectors for early stage research projects
- Independently design and conduct purification projects and process development activities including column and membrane chromatography, filtration and membrane separations, scale-up, and technology transfer to Process Sciences.
- Drive design of experimental studies needed to support process improvements to enhance process reliability, improve process yields and develop strategies for scale-up
- Partner with the Upstream and Analytical leads in Research and Process Sciences to build effective CMC strategies for gene therapy candidates
- Support the investigation and evaluation of novel and innovative technologies for AAV downstream processes
- Ph.D. in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, biochemistry, or a related field with 2-5 years of relevant experience, Master’s degree with 6-8 years of relevant experience or a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
- A strong understanding of AAV biology and the fundamentals of AAV purification operations including chromatography and/or membrane separations is required.
- Demonstrated experience developing successful harvest, filtration, chromatography and other AAV unit operations
- Hands-on experience with upstream production and AAV analytics is preferred
- Proven ability to work independently, effectively plan and organize work activities and prioritize task completion to meet schedules and deadlines
PhD or equivalent relevant experience, plus 0-2+ years industry experience
PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.