Sr. Business Process Manager
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Senior Business Process Manager (Senior BPM) is dedicated to business process improvement (analysis, mapping and optimization) to enable the routine delivery of exceptional business process performance. This position is within the Business Process Improvement (BPI) function of Supply Chain and supports global operational improvement initiatives throughout Technical Operations (TOPS). The Senior BPM will collaborate with Business Process Owners (BPO) to prioritize and drive business process improvement. The role reports into the Director, Business Process Improvement in Novato, California and is an office based role with approximately 10% travel.
The Senior BPM supports the following goal areas within BPI:
- The TOPs End to End Business Process framework to define, optimize and maintain business processes
- Kaizen, DMAIC Project and Lean Toolbox
- TOPS Metrics
- Continuous Improvement Education, Training, and Certification
- Idea to Project and Project Prioritization
Detailed responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Facilitating complex cross-functional business process improvement initiatives in TOPs using defined Lean Six Sigma and business process improvement tools to:
- Identify gaps and inefficiencies to current state business processes.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and the desired future state.
- Prioritize the opportunities based on business drivers.
- Partner with cross-functional project teams to implement improvements.
- Recognize barriers to improvement efforts and work to remove them.
- Generate project charter, SIPOC, project schedule, current and future state process maps, proposed solution plan, road map, impact/effort matrix, and metrics.
- Completing projects by agreed upon due dates.
- Providing process improvement training.
- Shares learnings across the organization.
- Seeks out systemic issues.
- Supporting root cause analyses.
- Supports the strategy deployment cycle including the development and deployment of A3s, the check/adjust process, and coaching executives on strategic A3 thinking.
- Coaching Green Belt candidates.
- Collecting and reporting metrics.
- Participating in regular staff and strategy meetings to define priorities and tactics.
- Maintaining alignment in methodology, procedure and governance of business process improvement best practices within TOPs.
- Collaborative Leadership - Ability to influence with or without authority, facilitate groups with diverse perspectives, bring teams to consensus/alignment. Builds credibility through solid relationships and solid track record of results.
- Ownership and Accountability – Takes accountability for actions, drives results, and able to learn from mistakes. Delivers on promises, goals, and expectations. Makes quality decisions and resolves problems with minimal delay as appropriate. Asks “what can I do to help?”
Communication - Ability to communicate effectively up and down, at all levels of the organization, present complex and/or new ideas with clarity and simplicity. Ability to draft and deliver clear and concise procedures or business process documents.
- Planning/Organization - Excellent planning and prioritization skills with the ability to multitask and adapt. Able to synthesize large amounts of information. Able to deliver results despite shifting environment.
- Analytical Problem Solving – Ability to identify problems, define problem statement clearly and accurately and apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify data-driven root causes. Innovative and effective in solution development, risk mitigation, and execution.
- Customer focused - Partners with customers, looks ahead to predict future customer needs. Manages expectations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Engineering, or other technical field or 5 -7 years of business/operations experience.
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification preferred.
- APICS certification beneficial.
- Demonstrated track record of delivering tangible business results.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience with Lean, Six Sigma, and business process improvement, with emphasis on process robustness.
- Minimum of 3 years experience with JMP or Minitab statistical software.
- Minimum 5 years of bio-tech/pharmaceutical operations experience required, with a proven track record of successfully leading, facilitating and managing large, cross-functional, business process improvement (Operational Excellence) initiatives.
- Good facilitation, change management, interpersonal and problem solving skills required.
- Minimum of 3 years of project management/management experience required.
- Familiarity with Visio and MS Project preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.