Systems Architect I
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Information Management (IM) Enterprise Architecture (EA) Scientific Platforms (SP) department seeks a highly talented and motivated Systems Architect I to support scientific compute, enterprise laboratory systems and laboratory analyzer workstations/applications. This role assists with implementing and maintaining computer systems with a client/server architecture and provides experience in scientific system support in a validated GxP environments (both the Manufacturing and Laboratory areas)
This individual contributor will have the opportunity to partner closely with both scientists, engineers and IT professionals within multiple departments and sites. She/he will play a key role in evaluating, designing, deploying and maintaining hardware and application systems. A successful track record of designing/maintaining special purpose computers, Scientific Data Management Systems (SDMS), Electronic Laboratory Notebooks (ELN) and various laboratory analyzers along with experience with the pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical industries is a plus.
Additionally, the role requires a strong emphasis on documentation and change control in accordance with our regulated environment. Long term system support requires attention to detail and adherence to computer system validation (CSV) standards. BioMarin is a high-performing, team-based organization, where colleagues are flexible, multi-skilled and empowered to make decisions. Applicants must bring a high level of initiative, energy and motivation to the role and have excellent communication and organizational skills.
• Maintain enterprise scale applications used in laboratory and manufacturing areas
• Implement and maintain stand-alone laboratory analyzer workstations and applications
• Design and maintain special purpose computers supporting scientific compute (e.g., multi GPU)
• Ability to design, document and communicate complex laboratory workflows and requirements
• Author System Development Lifecycle (SDLC) supporting documentation and tests (e.g., User Requirements, Technical Requirements, System Architecture, Design Specification, Application Configuration, Functional Requirements, User Acceptance Test)
• Systematic problem-solving approach coupled with effective communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive
• Research, test and recommend specific system hardware and software options to meet platform needs
• Participate in requirement gathering, planning and execution of hardware/software solution implementation
• Provide recommendations for technical standards and specifications and support build of IT systems for client base
• Troubleshoot IT issues and provide excellent customer service to our clients
• Develops preventative maintenance protocols and procedures for laboratory hardware and or solutions
• Develops validation procedures for implemented solutions
• Energetic/self-motivated, able to work independently and in team with strong organizational skills
• Collaborates with multidisciplinary teams and provides guidance and expertise
• Provide around the clock tier 2/3 support for lab systems with periodic off-hours monthly maintenance
• This role is located in Novato, CA, United States and may require up to 10% travel
• Minimum of 1-year experience in designing, building and supporting laboratory and/or manufacturing applications and systems in a customer facing role
• Experience in current good manufacturing practice (cGMP) biopharmaceutical production setting (process development and/or manufacturing technical support) supporting systems in a GxP/Validated environment
• Knowledge of Windows server/desktop, Citrix and/or Linux server environments
• Execution of project plans and work closely with customers/IT to manage expectations
• A strong communicator who can speak effectively to technical and non-technical audiences
• Able to prioritize and deliver results with a high emphasis on quality, technical rigor and detail
• Able to integrate feedback in a professional manner and thrives in multidisciplinary teams with members with highly diverse backgrounds
Nice to have -
• Experience maintaining special purpose computers (e.g., multi-GPU)
• Experience in supporting and maintaining scientific systems, example systems include:
o Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN) Software [IDBS E-WorkBook]
o Viability Analyzer Systems [Beckman Coulter Vi-CELL]
o Endotoxin Detection & Analysis Software [Lonza WinKQCL]
o Protein Purification System Control Software [GE Healthcare Life Sciences UNICORN]
• Experience supporting software systems, servers and networks in Biotechnology Facility preferred
• Ability to automate work effort through scripting (e.g., PowerShell, MS-DOS Scripting language)
• Understanding of relational databases including interactions with some minor configuration
• Have a general knowledge of the underlying scientific principles applied to the development and manufacture of biopharmaceuticals
Minimum B.S. or greater in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field or significant experience in supporting laboratory and/or manufacturing platforms in the pharmaceutical industry.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.