Manager, Real Estate Analytics
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin’s Corporate Real Estate & Workplace (CREW) team handles strategic capital investment planning, campus planning and design, space assignment, and move management for BioMarin facilities. Our work includes strategic planning to align business needs with capital solutions through identification of site, master planning, design oversight, development requirements, occupancy planning, and management of the real estate portfolio to optimize asset utilization. We work closely with colleagues across the organization in providing space to accommodate our growth. We work at a strategic level to determine how and where we will use space, and at the tactical level to ensure the business needs regarding space and workplace are fully met in project execution.
The Manager, Real Estate Analytics will be responsible to lead the process, implementation, ongoing data analysis and reporting related to the BioMarin real estate portfolio. The position partners with the Strategic Planners within CREW, which manages the planning of real estate as well as the occupancy of real estate; Legal; Facilities Operations, which manages the physical elements of the real estate portfolio. A successful candidate will be able to translate the high-level strategies developed by CREW and business processes across BioMarin into a tactical understanding and analysis of real estate.
- Work with internal corporate counsel and external brokerage(s) to navigate acquisition process, as driven by business need and directed by leadership
- Support and/or coordination of lease negotiations, letters of intent, amendments, renewals, etc.
- Ensure timeliness of acquisition process, adhering to timelines as necessary to support the business
- Work with stakeholders spanning other arenas (e.g. legal, accounting, facilities operations, security, etc.) to ensure smooth transitions from a business operations standpoint relating to any real estate acquisitions and divestitures
- Ensure real estate lease data reporting is comprehensive and current, to support Facilities Services to ongoing operations
- Oversee Capital Asset Facilities Management (CAFM) system.
- Manage lease administration and CAFM consultants and vendors.
- Implement, and oversee a lease administration system, and become the go-to internal person for data related to BioMarin leased and owned facilities
- Develop and maintain comprehensive real estate databases.
- Prepare detailed analyses for insights to optimize asset utilization. Make recommendations to Management to improve utilization. Examples may include the following:
- Overall facilities portfolio makeup (owned and leased)
- Historic (trailing) OpEx costs (by building, by square footage, by seat, etc.)
- Historic CapEx costs for real estate (e.g. construction costs for past projects by square foot, by seat, etc.)
- Develop reports, presentations to illustrate information related to real estate business operations
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives related to CAFM and lease administration processes and data collection.
- Collect feedback from teams across the business, including GEFS (Global Engineering & Facilities Services), Real Estate Strategic Planners, Capital Projects Management, and Facilities Operations to fully understand and align with future visions and current conditions
Required Skills & Expectations:
- 3-5 years of experience in a real estate business operations role or related function
- Experience in managing leases or other real estate agreements
- Demonstrated understanding of real estate and facilities concepts and terminology
- Comfort navigating between ambiguous concepts and concrete plans
- Ability to create and update intermediate to advanced level spreadsheets
- Ability to manage and handle sensitive information relating to project cost reports, facilities planning, etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated self-motivator and proactive in managing teams spanning multiple functions
- Creative problem solving and analytical skills
- Proven teamwork skills
- Model best practices in relation to BMRN standards
- Support team building and development activities
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Advanced level computer skills: Internet navigation, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel), Adobe Acrobat
- Proven ability to manage multiple, fast moving priorities
- Experience engaging with teams spanning varied backgrounds and functions
- Proven self-starter
- Valid passport and CA driver license
- Experience using CAFM systems
- Agility in coordinating with teams virtually across multiple international geographic locations
- Understanding of biotech concepts and terminology
Bachelor’s Degree or higher, with significant coursework in business, real estate, engineering, architecture, information technology or a related field preferred.
Primary work tools are laptops, docking stations and related peripheral devices (printers, bar code scanner).
- Position requires regular interaction with external parties such as contractors, architects, engineers, consultants, vendors, etc.
- Position requires regular interaction with internal parties such as Capital Project Management, Facilities & Engineering, Legal, Finance, EHS&S (Environment, Health, Safety and Sustainability), Maintenance, Purchasing, Technical Operations and Project Managers, etc.
Position may entail direct supervision of consultants and contractors as required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must have the ability to perform moderate physical activity.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The employee must have the ability to perform complex tasks with attention to detail.
This job description is intended to give the candidate an appreciation of the role envisioned and the range of responsibilities. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed throughout the period of employment. The job description may vary from time to time by the Company to reflect changes in the role and/or the needs of the business.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.