Senior Scientist I, Vector Analytics - Gene Therapy Research
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are looking for a highly motivated team member with extensive experience in gene therapy vector analytics to be a key contributor in the Genetics Research and Delivery Group. Incumbent will be responsible for in process and release testing of research grade viral (AAV) and non-viral vectors, and for leading the development of new and/or improved assays in alignment with Process Sciences and Manufacturing.
- Responsible for the development, optimization, and implementation of analytical methods for the characterization, release, and stability testing of research grade gene therapy products
- Support analytical method development and characterization of AAV products using molecular, biophysical, and other analytical assays
- Develop strategies for analytical characterization and impurity analysis of viral and non-viral vectors
- Independently plan and conduct laboratory experiments and oversee the performance of 1-2 Research Associates/Senior Research Associates
- Compile data and perform computations using data analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- Align with collaborators in Research, Process Sciences, and Analytical Sciences on phase appropriate analytical methods and strategy
- PhD in Biological Sciences, Bioengineering, Chemistry or related field
- 5+ years of experience in the biotechnology or pharma industry with a primary focus on analytical methodology for gene therapy products.
- Strong understanding of AAV biology required
- Extensive hands-on experience in designing, developing, and executing molecular assays (NGS, ddPCR and qPCR) and analytical chemistry and biophysical assays (CE, HPLC, mass spectrometry)
- Experience in the design and optimization of potency and infectivity assays for gene therapy products is preferred
- Knowledge of regulatory/pharmacopeia requirements for gene therapy products is a plus
- Hands-on experience in upstream and downstream process development and viral vector production is a plus
- Detail oriented, outstanding organizational skills, excellent written and oral communication skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.