BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Category Leader has a specific responsibility to establish and implement a category – based sourcing and supplier management strategy at BioMarin and to monitor, maintain and develop the category on an ongoing basis. This is a dynamic role where in addition to having an in-depth understanding of category management and supplier relationship management, the successful candidate will also lead cross – functional category management teams and forums to add value by collectively leveraging BioMarin’s single – use supply partners, internal stakeholder teams (Manufacturing / MSAT / Support Services / Finance etc.) and overall category spend.
- To lead and manage category management projects, supported by cross – functional teams as appropriate
- To research and maintain a current deep – level understanding of the single – use category, the current and potential supply base, the current and potential supply market and internally to understand the current and future needs and wants of BioMarin and its stakeholders
- To research and maintain an understanding of what the end customer needs and might want from the Global Supplier Management organization with respect to the category of single – use technology
- To research and maintain an understanding of all supplier and supply – based risk ensuring ongoing contingency and mitigation actions as appropriate while watching for any changes that might require intervention
- To deploy a managed approach to engage and communicate with the wider business, especially focusing on relevant stakeholders to secure and maintain buy – in and support for category projects
- To identify and implement the most effective, impactful and demonstrable strategic sourcing strategy for the category of single – use technology
- To identify and put in place appropriate SRM interventions including supplier management activities around supplier reviews, score – carding and ensuring the contract continues to be robust
- To keep a watchful eye on the market, environment and the changing needs of the business and identify when action is needed in response to any change
- To report progress ongoing against specific project milestones and benefits delivery
- To provide category and supplier – related support to operational readiness activities where required
- Work in collaboration with Global Supplier Quality and Global Compliance to manage & co-ordinate the supplier and materials selection process with supplier agreements and contracts put in place where applicable
- Partner with Material Operations at Novato and Shanbally to drive Supplier performance improvement and directly support Operational Purchasing where required in support of purchasing – related material readiness activities
- Communicate when required at any site “Run the business” meetings (incl. S&OE), any escalations or potential impacts to the business from a category or supplier – related aspect. Support escalations as appropriate through site and global forums (Procurement Governance) to ensure issues / criticalities are communicated and resolved in a timely fashion
- Support Scenario planning when required with colleagues in the Material Operations, Scheduling function, by performing raw material and consumable feasibility analysis where called upon
- Focus and encourage (with suppliers and internally) continuous improvements (CI) in the single – use category to add additional value
- Align with strategies and realization of departmental and business goals Qualifications
- A Degree in Supply Chain Management or other related Business discipline (at a minimum) is required
- Supply Chain Certification is preferred e.g. APICS
- Project Management Certification is desirable Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years relevant Purchasing / Supply Chain Management / Category Management experience is required
- An in – depth understanding of Planning, Scheduling, Purchasing and Logistics is required
- Experience in Purchasing or Category Management in a multi-national environment
- Experience in the Biopharmaceutical industry and / or Sterile Drug Product Filling operations is desirable
- Experience of Oracle would be beneficial but ERP system competency is essential Knowledge, Skills and Capabilities:
- Technical and process skills: An understanding of the category management process with an ability to apply the tools and approaches with a good standard or rigor. An understanding of Bio and / or Pharma manufacturing principles
- Research skills: Ability to gather, analyze and act on supplier, market and category data
- GMP / GXP: Understands and appreciates the criticality of compliance and regulatory requirements as these apply to and are executed in bio pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Business acumen: Ability to define, develop and communicate a set of business requirements for the allotted category based on the needs of the business
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.