Sr. / Technical Scientist, Flow Cytometry Core
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin seeks a highly motivated Sr. / Technical Scientist to establish a Flow Cytometry Core at the state-of-the-art BioMarin Research Center. The Core will provide access to instrumentation, training, and experimental assistance across all Research and Development groups. The Scientist will oversee the maintenance and troubleshooting of a growing fleet of flow cytometers (currently LSR Fortessa, FACSCanto and FACSMelody), as well as additional cell sorting equipment (AutoMACS). The individual will oversee the training of self-operators on the equipment and will serve as a resource in all aspects of flow cytometry. The successful candidate is expected to be informed of emerging trends and techniques, and will likely be called upon to develop and implement new methods. This will require scientific rigor, creative thinking, effective execution and first-rate collaboration between members of cross-functional teams.
- Provide leadership in the application of flow cytometry and cell sorting technologies to research problems. Develop specialized methods and techniques for new protocols in cytometric procedures and assays.
- Operate and maintain existing analysis and sorting equipment, computer systems, and ancillary equipment. Participate in the selection of new core facility equipment.
- Train new users. Conduct training sessions or workshops on basic and advanced techniques. Develop training material and standard operating procedures. Train users on acquisition and analysis software, and assist users in interpreting and evaluating raw data.
- Design and implement procedures for the management of multi-user equipment.
- Provide expert consultation and collaboration regarding technical requirements and capabilities of Core equipment. Make substantive contributions in diverse technical areas.
- Contribute to and author peer-reviewed publications and presentations.
- Other duties may also be assigned.
- Extensive experience operating and maintaining BD cell sorters and analyzers.
- Experience with multi-parameter fluorophore panel design.
- Advanced knowledge of laser maintenance and replacement, optical detectors, fluidics, and aerosol management.
- Ability to effectively communicate and give oral presentations. Individual must interact with peers and experts in the field to keep up with advances in cytometry and related fields. Individual must possess good interpersonal skills to interact with diverse users with a wide range of technical expertise.
- Demonstrated project leadership experience.
- Demonstrated ability in the interpretation and evaluation of data.
- Previous experience running or working in a core or shared resource facility.
Experience & Education:
- PhD in Biology, Chemistry or related field. Those with a degree in a relevant biomedical field (immunology, cell biology, molecular biology, etc.) are encouraged to apply. 5 years of flow cytometry experience required.
- Sr. Technical Scientist (non PhD) Education & BA/MS Experience Criteria:
- Masters degree with at least 8 years of relevant technical experience
- Bachelors degree and at least 10 years of relevant technical experience
- Technical Scientist (non PhD) Education & Experience Criteria:
- Masters degree with at least 10 years of relevant technical experience
- Bachelors degree and at least 12 years of relevant technical experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.