Director, Global Project Management, Clinical Development
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
OVERVIEW: PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT - GLOBAL PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Global Project Management (GPM) is responsible for providing best-in-class project management practices to optimize Global Core Teams, Clinical Development Teams, Study Teams and other key sub-teams, the development and execution of robust strategic and operational plans, teamwork, decision-making and communication. GPM is committed to driving innovative project and portfolio management to expedite the advancement of drugs for rare disease.
The Director position is a leadership role for strategic, seasoned project managers who are masterful facilitators, decision makers, and organizational drivers. As a highly experienced and well-respected leader, the Director plays a pivotal role in setting the strategy and direction of the program. This individual is expected to facilitate sound decision making through their mastery of essential technical content around drug development strategy, planning, execution and practical application of business savvy. The Director oversees the project management of one or more programs; partnering closely with the Core Team Leader in managing the Core Team as well as the Clinical Development Team (CDT) Lead in managing the CDT, and managing a PM team that collaborates closely with other functional area leadership in support of other key sub-teams (e.g., study teams). Typical areas of focus for project management include the alignment of the overall program plan to the strategy, more detailed clinical development planning, program timelines, cross-functional alignment activities, and risk/issue management.
I. Strategy and Planning:
- Strategic partner with the Core Team Leader and other members of the Core Team to develop and oversee execution of an integrated global strategic plan which provides high quality data that enables efficient and effective decision making to maximize the value of assets.
- Ensure the clinical development strategy for a project [i.e. Clinical Development Plan (CDP)] is established, consistent with overall product development strategy as derived from the Target Product Profile (TPP), and approved at the appropriate governance forums.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of the cross functional timeline supporting the overall program strategy- highlighting dependencies, milestones, deliverables, and critical path; create timeline scenarios as needed and facilitate cross-functional reviews.
- Facilitate team development and management of Program Risk Mitigation Plan ensuring execution and alignment of risk mitigation efforts.
- Identify and escalate issues associated with team resourcing to functional management as appropriate.
- Partners with Core Team Leader on developing all key strategic and program plans. • Drives aligned, comprehensive plan to program strategy.
- Facilitates the integration of all key workstreams supporting program.
- Leads/facilitates all PM activities supporting program via direct reports and partnering with other functional area staff supporting program (i.e. matrix environment).
- Steward of comprehensive plan and other key strategic/planning documents (e.g., CDP, risk mitigation plans, etc.).
- Primary conduit for information flow cross functionally within the program (i.e. across sub-teams and functions).
- Partners with Core Team Lead on Core Team facilitation (e.g., meeting prep, post meeting follow-up, etc.).
- Partners with the CDT Lead in leading the CDT in the development and execution of the Clinical Development Plan.
- Advocate and drive for overall project execution quality – Propose, facilitate and implement plans to resolve issues and execute corrective actions.
- Oversee, develop and disseminate relevant program related communications and dashboards to functional areas and management, and governance forums.
- Advocate high performance team best practices.
- Actively mentor/coach GPM staff.
- Represent and be an advocate for the PM department within BioMarin.
- BA/BS in a scientific or technical field. MA desirable. Experience in lieu of education accepted.
- Minimum of 12 years total relevant experience (including industry, project management, or academia), with at least 9 years in a project management role.
- 3 or more years of experience in people management preferred. Management responsibilities may be added to role during incumbent’s tenure.