Director, Project Engineering
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Director, Project Engineering
The Director, Project Engineering is part of the Capital Project Delivery Group and provides oversight and accountability for the successful delivery of the design of Global/Corporate capital projects, standards and practices for engineering design, the development and adherence to engineering specifications, adherence to project governance, adherence to quality and project change control, and technical leadership. This role includes global collaboration and standards management between all BioMarin campuses.
- Lead the Capital Project Engineering group, comprised of Project Engineers to support the SRC/ROW, Novato, and some BTC campus portfolios with a value of approximately 90M annually.
- Lead a team of 6-8 direct reports, 6-10 Staff augment contractors, and associated A&E firms
- Accountable for the health, compliance and successful delivery of all design work and change control for engineering and facility related capital projects.
- Drive the continuous improvement of capital project engineering activities for all BioMarin entities, and initiative projects to improve capital business process.
- Improve project delivery for project design and change control, approve global engineering specifications, ensure compliance to industry standards and engineering best practices. Review and approve project deliverables in the project engineering swim lane of the CAPEX business process.
- Accountable for organizational change management, training and curricula maintenance, and performance management. Develop and maintain skills matrix and technical track for engineering employee development
- Collaborate with other key programs including Risk Management, Operations, Manufacturing, Engineering Teams, Quality, Strategy and Management, Information Technology, regional leaders, and other team members as necessary to ensure the on-time and effective delivery of capital project engineering.
- Identify barriers to delivery and work with colleagues and stakeholders as needed to drive progress.
- Interact and collaborate with stakeholders representing the multiple business units.
- Update senior leadership regularly on discussions, challenges, recommendations, and decisions.
Requirements & Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related discipline with 12 to 15 years’ experience in Engineering and Facilities or 10 to 13 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical industry.
• MS in Engineering desired.
• Project Management Professional (PMP)®, Program Management Professional (PgMP)® or Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)® certification preferred.
• Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt or Operational Excellence related certification preferred.
• Minimum 10 years of management experience in global engineering and facility capital project organization with portfolio of $25M-50M/year.
• Experience in procurement role, including general contractor/supplier relationship management, RFI/RFP, and bidding management.
• Able to execute and successfully deliver complex on projects that are mid-sized to large.
- Excellent collaboration, teambuilding, and communication skills
- Strong business and technical acumen, strategic agility, and global perspective necessary to lead the groups to world-class performance
- Influencing and partnering skills: Proven ability to build and leverage productive relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Project execution and outcomes focus: Proven ability to deliver complex transformational change in a demanding operational environment while under significant regulatory and senior management scrutiny.
- Proven ability to deliver significant and sustained cross-functional change in a program management function of a global financial services institution.
- Strong verbal and written communication.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to focus on detailed execution while ensuring alignment with a wider and evolving context.
- Excellent influencing and partnering skills
- Global experience, can adapt to and effectively manage in various cultural environments and organizational levels including executive management
- Experience with Oracle Primavera (P6) and Ares PRISM G2 is a plus
- 10% Travel may be required
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.