Engineer 1 / 2 Facilities/Utilities
NEFS Engineering provides technical support, guidance, and strategic vision to ensure that the facilities, utilities, warehouse, and laboratory equipment for BioMarin's domestic clinical/commercial manufacturing buildings, laboratories, and warehouses are designed, operated, and maintained in a manner consistent with GxP and best practice asset lifecycle management.
The Facilities Engineer will be responsible for ongoing support to Novato operations to ensure utilities and facilities equipment performs its intended function when required. The engineer will be responsible to support the design, engineering, and commissioning of new or modified utility systems and/or GMP facilities, laboratory facilities, and administrative facilities. The engineer will:
- Highlight and submit improvement and investment projects related to facilities/utilities
- Work with end users to develop system requirements, specification of equipment/buildings, review design from outside engineering firms or contractors (as needed).
- Provide utilities/facilities technical support to GEFS engineering team on large capital projects
- Participate in long-term strategic development of site utility system and facilities.
The Engineer may be designated as a subject matter expert for one or more clean/dirty utility systems.
- Provide Process Engineering support of Pilot Plant, Development, and Manufacturing, and their associated Facilities/Utilities
- Demonstrate an in-depth technical knowledge of biotech and gene therapy processes, and the facilities/utilities used in the manufacture, Research & Development, and warehousing of pharmaceutical and biological products
- Act as the Facilities Engineering resource on cross-functional project teams
- Demonstrate leadership ability including the ability to lead, motivate, develop, and directly/indirectly manage others effectively
- Delegate authority and responsibility to junior staff to achieve tactical and support strategic objectives
- Apply extensive practical expertise in their area(s) of knowledge
- Advance safety, health, and environmental stewardship at BioMarin through technical decisions, guidance, and leadership
- Effectively manage internal and external relationships with customers, key stakeholders, and vendors
- Develop and maintain effective communication with peers, subordinates, and senior management
- Demonstrate the ability to be self-directed with limited guidance and oversight from management
- Support development of internal engineering practices and procedures
- Effectively apply independent judgment utilizing BioMarin policies, industry practices and BioMarin standards as guidance
- Demonstrate effective collaboration, partnering and teamwork skills when interacting with internal and external resources
- Actively participate in technical, tactical, and strategic reviews/discussions
- Remain current on all training requirements
- Demonstrate the ability to plan and implement small projects
- Identify and champion projects that will successfully support BioMarin business goals and objectives
- Stay current with leading edge technologies, trends, and best practices through contacts with industry, service/equipment providers, and other formal/informal means
This role is critical in the support of Novato Make, Assess, Release GMP operations.
BS or MS in Mechanical, Chemical, or other Engineering degree from an accredited university. Relevant job and years of experience may be substituted in place of a degree.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in facilities and clean/dirty plant utilities, preferably in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Demonstrated successful engineering support of capital projects of one hundred thousand dollars or more.
- Experience with electrical system design and maintenance required
- Demonstrated engineering Subject Matter Expertise (SME) in at least one of the following systems: Water for Injection (WFI), RO/DI, Pure Steam, Clean Dry Air (CDA), clean process gas systems, HVAC, Plant Steam, Chilled water, Condenser Water, Process Wastewater, refrigeration, or electrical systems
- Strong organization, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with standard office software applications, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point.
- Proficiency in creating, editing, and reviewing, engineering/architectural drawings is required.
- Experience in the use of engineering software tools
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.