EHS&S Sr. Specialist
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The EHS&S Sr. Specialist supports the overall BioMarin Environment, Health, Safety and Sustainability (EHS&S) operations, with focus on health and Safety policies and procedures across multiple business functions.
This position will report directly to the Associate Director, EHS&S Policy/Program Governance with responsibility to implement environmental, health and safety programs and procedures and will act as the EHS&S representative on various cross-functional projects. The incumbent will communicate effectively across all levels of the organization and act as a positive influence on people and process.
This position is based in BioMarin’s corporate headquarters located in San Rafael, California.
This position is not offered as a fully remote role, but a hybrid role may be considered.
- Directly support the Associate Director, EHS&S Policy/Program Governance to reduce the risk of injury/illness and workplace hazards including identifying and addressing compliance gaps.
- Develop health and safety policies, procedures, trainings, and written programs.
- Provide strategic support to stakeholders to reduce safety risks to staff and improve safety awareness and culture.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external partners/stakeholders.
- Use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required.
- Use monitoring and sampling equipment.
- Use EHS&S and company software systems effectively.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for health and safety programs including but not limited to IIPP, LOTO, electrical safety, fall protection, respiratory protection, and PPE.
- Establish, update, and manage health and safety programs for compliance with Cal/OSHA regulations.
- Manage and/or conduct health and safety compliance audits and inspections.
- Recommend and work with stakeholders to implement solutions and best practices.
- Investigate EHS incidents, near misses and safety suggestions including conducting root cause analyses.
- Work directly with internal partners and stakeholders.
- Work directly with external consultants, contractors, vendors, and regulatory personnel.
- 8-10 years prior experience with bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Safety, or relevant discipline.
- Experience managing EHS programs and providing EHS services.
- Comprehensive knowledge of EHS regulations, procedures, and business practices
- Subject matter expertise and demonstrated knowledge of Cal/OSHA regulations.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting incident investigations and root cause analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in working with cross functional teams.
- Professional certification such as CSP.
- Prior experience with California regulatory agencies and regulations.
- Prior experience in a biopharmaceutical setting.
- Prior experience managing health and safety programs at an industrial or research facility.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) is required. Professional certifications (e.g. CSP) preferred.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key internal stakeholders, including Research, Facilities, Engineering, Global Security, Business Continuity, Human Resources, and Corporate Communications.
- Up to 25% domestic and international travel may be required.
- No direct reports but may manage the performance of contractors and vendors and will advise/direct other employees.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.