Sr. Manager, EHS&S
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The role will act as the lead for program development for health and safety programs across all US sites. Position will ensure compliance of programs with all applicable local, state and federal safety regulations, including documentation, reporting, permits, training, and procedure development.
- Think strategically and ensure deliverables are aligned with broader organization and create awareness of this direction with affected members/business functions.
- Conduct regular assessments of safety procedures, industrial safety practices, international codes, related equipment, training program effectiveness, and other EHS&S related items across regional facilities and operations.
- Develop and report key performance indicators on EHS&S program implementation.
- Perform audits at company facilities within US region to ensure site compliance with all applicable local, state and federal environmental and safety regulations, including documentation, reporting, permits, training, and procedure development.
- Recommends and ensures corrective action for hazardous situations in compliance with OSHA, DOT, EPA regulations, or equivalent international organizations for each global commercial office.
- Develops and conducts or coordinates training programs for compliance for health and safety programs including hazard communications, IIPP, safe working practices, PPE and approves all PPE purchased to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Provide leadership and direction to direct and indirect staff through the promotion of teamwork, empowerment, coaching and development; and manage team performance to ensure organizational objectives are met.
- Manage assigned safety programs for US operations, leading continuous improvement to ensure effectiveness and compliance.
- Drive significant change and improvement through proactive process improvements and site support. Influence relevant site management, customers and stakeholders, as appropriate, to drive safety culture improvements.
- Requires comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of safety responsibilities, regulations, procedures, and business practices for biotech manufacturing operations.
- Review new or proposed changes to site facilities, equipment, materials or operations to determine all necessary EHS&S requirements are addressed in a thorough and rigorous manner.
- Act as safety expert within internal teams or on multi-functional/departmental projects. Review and provide EHS&S input on typical project documents including process diagrams, P&ID’s, equipment specifications, design drawings etc.
- Conduct Risk Assessments using process hazard evaluation techniques such as What If, HAZOP, FMEA etc. to support EHS&S and client deliverables
- Conduct incident investigations and/or root cause analysis to improve safety programs or audit/inspection observations.
- For US operations, lead or support site regulatory inspections at the local, county, state, and federal levels for assigned EHS&S programs.
- Develop relationships with and manage consultants and vendors on safety related tasks, programs or projects.
- Maintains electronic files/records for various EHS&S programs to comply with regulatory requirements and/or internal company policies.
- Active member of the BioMarin Emergency Response Team (BERT) and site evacuation programs, including the design and execution of annual drills and communication with management.
- Performs hazard assessments for manufacturing activities including the need for personal protective equipment (PPE), and process safety management (PSM).
- Recommends improvements in policies, procedures and equipment to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Plans and coordinates industrial hygiene testing (air sampling, noise level testing, etc.) to ensure compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Author, maintain and implement the requirements for ISO 14001 and 45001 certifications.
- Provides recommendation and backup of health and wellness programs including Workers Compensation, Medical, and Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- Coordinates responses to governmental proposals affecting our facilities operations.
- Requires regular attendance to perform essential elements as contained herein between the assigned start and end times for work.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, other internal departments of the Corporation and the community.
- Manage day-to-day business operations of regional H&S function (contracts, budgets, accruals, invoice review/approval).
- Act as system owner of EHS&S related software, applications and internal website
- Manage/support design and implementation of software solutions and applications in support of EHS&S business needs
- Maintains the professional competence, knowledge and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant science or engineering related field minimum requirement.
- Master’s Degree and/or Ph.D. in a relevant science or engineering field preferred.
- IH or safety related credentials and/or professional certifications strongly preferred (CSP, CIH, etc.).
- Required 5 years of EHS experience within an operating biopharmaceutical manufacturing or lab setting.
- Required minimum EHS experience within an operating industrial setting is dependent upon previously attained education level:
- Minimum of 12 years prior EHS experience with undergraduate degree.
- Minimum of 10 years prior EHS experience with Master’s degree.
- Minimum of 8 years prior EHS experience with Ph.D.
Additional Preferred Experience:
- Prior experience with EHS-MIS software systems.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.