Senior Manager, OTC-Global Collections & Credit Risk Management
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin Global Finance Operations and Reporting (GFOR) is growing rapidly with the overall company and developing into a leading edge global finance organization. BioMarin has over $1.5 billion of annual revenues and operations in over 40 countries that drive significant accounting, finance and information systems complexity. BioMarin has ambitious growth plans and has an enthusiastic global team that is eager to deliver world-class accounting and finance operations services to our stakeholders.
JOB TITLE: Senior Manager, OTC-Global Collections & Credit Risk Management
Based in our San Rafael, California Headquarters, this is a newly created role in the expanding BioMarin Order-to-Cash (OTC) organization reporting to the Global OTC Operations Associate Director, currently based in Dublin (Ireland). With responsibility for Global Collections & Credit Risk Management, this role includes supporting OTC Finance Operational deliverables and working cross-functionally to drive operational rigor, financial control, and process excellence with our global partners. The Sr. Manager Global Collections & Credit Risk will be charged with driving continuous process analysis and improvement to drive efficiencies and scale in support of ongoing business growth.
The Sr. Manager, Global Collections and Credit Risk, will join our Finance Team and provide diligent oversight of day-to-day deliverables related to Customer Invoicing, Cash Applications, Collections and Credit Risk Management. In addition, the Sr. Manager will act as an escalation point for the North America based OTC Operations Team, supporting the Associate Director to meet key financial and accounting deliverables and enabling success of end-to-end OTC Operations as a whole. The ideal candidate will have subject-matter expertise in Global Credit and Collections, possess excellent business partnership and communication skills, be motivated by optimizing effective processes and policies, and take pride in producing high quality results. Besides day-to-day deliverables, the Sr. Manager will be charged with ensuring transactional accuracy and financial controls, continuous process improvement, and the active engagement across the governance of end-to-end OTC operations, including:
- Design and develop fit-for-purpose Global Credit & Collections Policies and procedures in line with internal industry guidelines
- Develop specific Credit & Collections objectives, developing a suite of reliable measures/KPIs to benchmark and optimize performance on an ongoing basis.
- Evaluate current credit, collection and cash application procedures, identifying opportunities and implementing improvements across all aspects of the process
- Proactively monitor and anticipate changing business, regulatory, and financial requirements, processes and practice
- Design and Implement comprehensive Credit & Collections reporting that supports effective cash collection, application and risk mitigation.
- Proactively mitigate operational risks and resolve escalated issues
- Prepare and provide quarterly consolidated accounts receivable reporting and analysis to Global Finance Leadership
- Evaluate and recommend monthly/quarterly Bad Debt reserves through detailed assessment and monitoring of AR reporting
- Work with Global and Local Commercial and Finance Teams where necessary to ensure timely collection of outstanding receivables Work with Outsourced Business partners ensuring robust processes are in place to identify and manage exposure risk.
- Partner with Outsourced Business Partners to drive continuous improvement initiatives to boost performance and business results.
- Ensure process workflows and documentation are properly maintained and up to date to the current processes.
- Manage all relevant policies and procedures related to the process
- Create a culture of financial discipline and operational excellence and that enables transformation to a best-in-class shared service model
- Continually review performance metrics, identify issues and ensure that processes meet/exceed business requirements.
- Assist in the monthly closing process (including: Backlog management, AR Flux Analysis, Sales/Revenue reconciliations, Journal Entries, Financial Results, and Dashboards)
- Partner collaboratively with Business Process Owners across Global Finance, Commercial and Supply Chain organization to manage, analyze, and improve end-to-end OTC operations
- Learn, understand, support and align with all related finance controls and policies, including credit, collections, and revenue recognition.
- Actively participate in ongoing process transformation and continuous improvement initiatives; including cross-functional projects, system implementations, and end-to-end root cause analysis to identify risks and prevent errors.
- Participate in the development, management, ongoing analysis and communication of key OTC metrics and KPIs
- SOX - Ensure internal controls are working effectively and propose improvements to support an evolving accounting and operational environment.
- Recruit, retain, develop and mentor direct reporting personnel (1 OTC Analyst)
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in customer finance and related accounting activities (AR, Credit, Collections, Revenue Recognition, and SOX ), reflecting increasing levels of responsibility and subject matter expertise, including at least 5 years management experience.
- Strong leadership skills with experience of empowering people; developing individual skills to their maximum potential, training and employee development as well as continuous improvement
- Proven commitment to process excellence, continuous improvement, and partnering cross-functionally to meet corporate goals and targets.
- Willingness and ability to work hands-on, collaboratively and with a sense of urgency, in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working in global and cross-functional environments.
- Proven record of leading OTC related projects and initiatives to successful conclusion
- ERP system experience, Oracle EBS a plus
5 years’ experience in Global Collections & Credit Risk along with a good understanding of End to End Order-to-Cash processes, Pharma/Biotech savvy, in large, multi-national global settings. Previous management experience is essential. The individual should be
- Performance driven with the ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- A Self-motivator with the confidence to take ideas forward and to work both on one’s own initiative, and as part of a team, and to constructively challenge others
- Able to effectively cope with change, shift gears comfortably, decide and act without having the total picture, and handle risk and uncertainty.”
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; ability to produce concise and effective policies and presentations for senior audiences with excellent attention to detail.
Bachelor’s in Accounting/Business Administration is desirable.
Primary: Finance (Accounting, Tax, Treasury, PMO), Commercial, Supply Chain, and Information Management
Other: Internal/External Audit, Legal
1 OTC AnalystWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.