Senior Accountant North America Accounting
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is a world leader in developing therapies to treat rare genetic diseases, and after almost two decades, BioMarin’s extensive research and development efforts continue to expand the boundaries of medicine. Guided by its commitment to the rare disease community, the company seeks to rapidly develop first-in-class or best-in-class therapies that will make a meaningful difference to small patient populations.
BioMarin has six commercialized products and multiple clinical and pre-clinical product candidates in its pipeline. The company’s clinical success on behalf of its rare disease patients has produced robust revenue growth from BioMarin’s existing products.
BioMarin Finance is growing rapidly with the overall company and is developing into a cutting edge global finance organization. It has operations in over 40 countries that drive significant global accounting and finance complexity for the year ended December 31, 2018, strong demand and revenue growth across BioMarin’s commercialized products delivered total revenue of $1.4 Billion. The company has ambitious growth plans in the immediate future and has an enthusiastic global finance team that is eager to deliver a world-class accounting and finance function to BioMarin and its stakeholders.
BioMarin trades on the Nasdaq under ticker BMRN and is headquartered in San Rafael, California.
JOB TITLE: Senior Accountant, North America Accounting (R&D)
This role is part of the North America Accounting team responsible for the Research and Development accounting function. The successful candidate will be an experienced accountant and will report to the Senior Manager, North America Accounting. Candidate should be able to multi-task and work both independently in a fast-paced dynamic environment and be a strong collaborator. Candidate must possess a strong desire to learn, grow and develop their skills while providing enhancement to the current accounting function. Attention to detail and good analytical skills are essential.
Main responsibilities include accounting for the R&D function including partnering directly with the business and F,P&A, accounting for R&D Accruals , Global Deferred Comp Plan, VAT, and other general accounting areas.
- Partnering with the R&D business contacts and F,P&A to understand activities which drive the US GAAP accounting.
- Provide guidance to the business and F,P&A on accounting to include presentations and training.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly JEs’ and account reconciliations relating to the accounting areas for R&D Accruals (including review of contracts), Global Deferred Comp Plan, VAT and other general accounting areas.
- Participate in process transformation and efficiencies to include identifying areas for streamlining and improvements
- Contract review to determine the correct US GAAP Accounting
- Completion of 10Q and 10K disclosure support for submission to the External reporting team
- SOX - Ensure internal controls are working effectively and propose improvements to support evolving accounting environment.
- Support both internal and external audits.
- Participate in Cross Functional Projects for North America Accounting
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in GL Accounting, preferably with combination of Big 4 audit and public company experience.
- Experience in a public company would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience of monthly close activities in a deadline driven environment
- ERP systems experience preferable Oracle EBS
- A strong desire to learn and progress
Certified Public Accountant essential and Bachelor’s in Accounting/Business Administration is desirable.
Technical Operations Business contacts, F,P&A, Corporate Accounting, External reporting, Internal and External Auditors and other BioMarin Departments.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.