Intern, Accounting and Reporting
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry.
Accounting and Reporting functions play a vital role at BioMarin. Teams works cross-functionally to support the organization, working with both internal and external partners to provide financial information and business insights to management, lenders, investors, and other stakeholders.
The Accounting Intern will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience by working collaboratively within an enthusiastic global finance team that strives to deliver a world-class accounting and finance function to BioMarin and its stakeholders.
The BioMarin Accounting and Finance functions are seeking a summer accounting intern with an interest in learning about accounting and who desires to achieve a meaningful experience in the accounting and finance profession. The accounting intern will be responsible for performing and/or assisting with monthly and quarterly close and reporting activities, including but not limited to journal entries, account reconciliations, variance analyses, internal controls, external reporting activities, tax items, and other special projects. This role will work closely with other BioMarin Finance teams, including Financial Planning & Analysis, Treasury, and/or Information Management, as well as with our business partners in the Research & Development, Technical Operations, Corporate and Commercial functions. The internship will also provide an opportunity to learn more about the biopharmaceutical industry.
- Satisfactory completion of introductory accounting courses and a basic understanding of accounting and financial principles.
- Strong work ethic and curiosity
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and Excel
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a continuous improvement mindset
- Student in their 3rd or 4th year pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics and/or Business
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop skills specific to your major
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff
In the U.S., the hiring range for this position is $ 21.00 to $ 25.00 per hour. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law..