Associate Director, Strategy and Asset Management
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Associate Director, Strategy and Asset Management is a full-time member of the Strategic Network Planning team with accountability for developing and executing BioMarin’s global inventory security and risk mitigation strategy, leading strategic network analysis projects and supporting other strategic initiatives like exchange forums with functions in BioMarin and strategic alliance management. It includes partnering with site material operations, Procurement and supply planning functions to ensure BioMarin has ready, secure and compliant access to sufficient storage location capacity at all required temperatures for all non-commercial and commercial products across the production planning and the long-range planning horizon.
This role works with a cross-functional teams and includes treasury, legal, BD, site material operations leaders, contract manufacturing and product supply chain owners/partner team leaders, as well as external partners to:
- Develop, implement, realize and sustain a global inventory security and risk mitigation strategy to ensure secure and compliant storage for all non-commercial and commercial products throughout the planning horizon.
- Own and provide global leadership of the Critical Asset Resilience Enhancement (CARE) program – includes monthly updates to inventory visibility and valuation reports used to identify over-concentration and other risks. Define and effectively advocate for mitigations, including dispersal and enhanced security for specified locations.
- Provide guidance regarding rules of engagement that determining inventory allocations across the network which minimizes risk.
- Develop and implement a process, linked to the monthly planning cycle and annual budget/LRP process, to continually assess and identify raw material, intermediates, drug substance, drug product and finished goods storage needs across our network (not including primary and secondary distribution centers).
- Work with treasury / insurance brokers, EH&S, legal, compliance, security and global logistics to define, update as needed and enforce minimum storage /security standards based on the strategic operating principles established as part of the Network Strategy projects.
- Support senior management in the formulation and implementation of BioMarin's operations strategies. Execute strategy business processes that include: overall strategic planning, make vs. buy decisions, site selection, network risk management.
- Analyze business opportunities and challenges within the TOPS organization. Provide financial and strategic analyses of decision options and make recommendations to senior management.
- Lead project teams and influence overall strategic thinking. Proactively manage teams and work with stakeholders to define and implement strategic initiatives; Responsible for successful, on-time project completion and achieved results. Do an excellent job of partnering with stakeholders to prepare and present analyses, decisions and recommendations to senior management.
- Support new TOPS Alliance Management function on day to day interactions with BD, internal stakeholders and with external partners as requested
- Bachelors in Engineering, Business, Operations Management, or Industrial Engineering required, Master’s Degree preferred (particularly MBA). Other advanced degree with strong focus on operations, supply chain, finance, quantitative methods, or operations research.
- Other continuing education initiatives is highly desirable (e.g. People Management, Leadership Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, industry specific coursework)
- 8-10 years work experience in pharmaceutical /biopharmaceutical; 2-5 years in decision support roles.
- Must work well in a collaborative team environment and communicate effectively with customers, peers, and senior management. Strong influence and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work well with others in a proactive, positive, and constructive manner.
- Excellent communications skills: Oral, written and formal presentation skills with senior management, middle management and line staff
- Creative problem solving skills
- Strategic agility and strong attention to detail and execution
- Comfortable and effective working indirectly through others
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Direct experience in manufacturing and international experience preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.