Sr. Packaging Engineer
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Senior Packaging Engineer is responsible for the design, development, testing, coordination, implementation, and maintenance of secondary and tertiary global packaging solutions for clinical and commercial products, both small and large molecule. S/he applies extensive theoretical, technical, and cross-functional expertise to independently address complex problems to complete assigned projects under limited direction. S/he is a key member on project teams to deliver high-quality packaging on schedule, which meets customer, business, technical and regulatory needs.
S/he promotes standardization and compatibility between in-house and contract packaging facilities. The successful candidate requires effective collaborations with internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead on-site implementation of changes and packaging-related launch activities at CMOs.
- Team leader for technical packaging projects on cross-functional project teams.
- Evaluate new packaging process or packaging to increase productivity and/or reduce costs without sacrificing quality.
- Awareness of future trends, process improvements, and new technologies. Communicate and introduce as applicable.
- Assemble and report department metrics. Lead monthly project reviews meetings.
- Mentor lower-level packaging engineers
- Design, test, and implement secondary, and tertiary packaging components. Write technical reports to support the component selection process. Perform financial analysis to support new or revised packaging proposals.
- Author SOPs, work procedures, packaging specifications, package design testing protocols, and oversee testing of the packaging components and packaging systems.
- Identify new packaging suppliers and CMOs as needed. Justify, arrange qualification, and participate in compliance audits as required.
- Work with and travel to contract sites to jointly develop package systems, batch records, distribution and handling methods, and any activities involved in properly transporting the drug throughout the supply chain.
- Will be a member of multidisciplinary project teams and be called on to lead teams for tasks that are focused on packaging issues.
- Present packaging project statuses at project and department meetings.
- Apply knowledge of FDA and ISO requirements related to packaging, ensuring robust package verification and approval.
- Ensure personal understanding of all quality policy/BioMarin system items that are per training curriculums.
- Create and approve technical artwork specifications.
Minimum 4 years as a Packaging Engineer in the Biotech/Pharmaceutical industry with increasing responsibility.
- Independent thinker with demonstrated skills working in teams or leading project teams
- Ability to multi-task and manage timelines
- Experience working with and knowledge of ISO and ASTM packaging test protocols
- Experience working with packaging artwork
- Working knowledge of packaging manufacturing processes
- Proficient in MS Office: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, CAPE or TOPS
- Proficient in MS Project
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to find, communicate, and implement ways to continuously improve processes and willingness to take on other duties as required
- Highly developed organizational, project management and influencing skills
- Process development or technology transfer experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills and judgment
- Effective decision making skills – ability to negotiate and balance decisions and priorities across needs of multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated initiative; results oriented
- Knowledge and experience of testing methods including CCI, ISTA, ASTM
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.