Intern, Human Resources
Start Date Summer 2019
Length of Assignment 12 weeks
Work Hours 40 hours per week
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The BioMarin Summer internship program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The BioMarin HR team is seeking a Summer Intern to work on a multitude of projects to gain a better understanding of what a career in HR entails.
The intern will have the opportunity to support several cross-functional HR activities which may include developing a quarterly HR Newsletter, working on the Job Description Database Project, understanding and documenting the “full life cycle” recruiting process for the purposes of building training materials, and developing articles and videos to share via our social channels.
The HR team works in close coordination with colleagues throughout the organization. The intern may also assist HR staff members with day-to-day activities, including New Hire Orientation, coordinating Learning and Development or updating data into our HR Information System.
To be successful in this internship, you’ll need to have very strong written and verbal communications skills, as well as a keen eye for detail. The ideal candidate will also have a “can do” attitude, an ability to shift gears quickly, and can think strategically while working independently.
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Applicants must have completed at least one year of university to be considered for an internship
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is the responsibility of the Intern
- Bachelors in Human Resource Management, Social Sciences or Communications is preferred
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to be flexible and handle simultaneous moving parts with a sense of urgency.
- Critical thinking skills needed to solve problems independently within a given framework
- High willingness to learn
- Strong and flexible team player
- Systems experience (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and social media platforms)
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.