Senior Manager, Capital Projects
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Reporting to the Engineering Director, the Capital Projects Senior Manager is responsible for the execution & planning of Capital projects according to agreed timelines and budgets for the Shanbally site and departments.
· The Capital Projects Senior Manager will lead the Projects Safety, Project Management, Construction Management, Discipline Engineers, Project Automation, Project Controls, Core Projects and Commissioning and Qualification teams across multiple capital projects.
· Develop systems to assess safety risks and planning prior to project execution, consistent with the site “Zero Injury” culture. Ensure that the Contractor safety program is maintained effectively thereby ensuring compliance with guidelines and a safe working environment for everyone.
· Co-ordinates all engineering activities associated with execution of capital projects from the initiation/concept phase through to handover of the project to the customer. Working with Capital strategy on initiation /concept of key strategic projects for the Shanbally site.
· Responsible for working with site departments to collate the site capital budget and long range plan and presenting to the site leadership team with the portfolio manager.
· Planning and scheduling of projects to meet a target of yearly spend cashflow of +/-5% of capital budget
· Working with finance & accounting functions to develop fixed asset capitalization and manage disposal of fixed assets for the site, assisting Finance in updating of fixed assets and depreciation records including costs associated with disposal and write down of assets
· Major stakeholder in the site Asset Lifecycle Management (ALM) and aligning the capital plan and execution with the ALM policy.
· Works with the Project Sponsor, Project Manager and stakeholders to complete Project Charters & Project Execution Plans outlining scope, goals, deliverables, resources, budget and timeline.
· Ensure that all projects are delivered to meet customer expectations to the highest safety, environmental, quality, operational & performance standards
· Monitor progress of project milestones with all team members and provide status reports. Ensure that adequate communication plans are in place and delivered to ensure that all project stakeholders are informed and consulted on key project activities, progress and decisions.
· Take a leadership role in all project management activities on the site working with the site & global portfolio management offices (PMO)
· Responsible for developing the commissioning and qualification strategy for projects and execution of same, incorporating the latest regulatory and internal guidance into commissioning & qualification strategies & plans.
· Ensure relevant documentation is prepared and updated in line with all Quality and regulatory guidelines and promotes full compliance to all GMP, environmental and safety requirements.
· Develop and maintain appropriate electronic and paper documentation & filing systems to ensure that all project documents are filed during project execution and safely archived following project completion.
· Ensure that a robust process is in place for the integration of completed projects into all business as usual activities e.g. close out of change controls, updating of SOPs, CMMS etc.
· Manage the handover and integration of the project with Site Readiness programs.
· Recruit, direct, coach and develop the Projects team - develop and maintain the team's technical and interpersonal skills.
· Develop and sustain an environment of continuous improvement through active implementation of best engineering, Right First Time principle and Lean six sigma methodologies. Working with GEFS to align on best practice project methodology and controls.
· Manage the planning & execution of annual Capex plan of €15-40m (variable spend per year)
· Lead a team of 5 FTE’s and a large number of temporary personnel to support above program
· Identify and manage expense costs directly associated with Capex e.g. operational support resources, fixed asset disposals
Manage all Capex related site contractors (financial, performance & safety)
· University Degree or college diploma in Engineering, Science or related field.
· Minimum of 10 years experience in project management or other relevant role within a Pharmaceutical / Medical Devices / GMP environment.
· Demonstrated leadership of people.
· The ability to work effectively within a team environment and to interact successfully across divisional boundaries.
· Rapidly adapt and respond to changes in environment and priorities.
· Excellent communication, leadership, problem solving and analytical skills.
· Ability to elicit cooperation from senior management and other departments.
· Demonstrate a high level of initiative, energy, motivation and organizational skills are key role requirements.
· Good understanding of relationship between quality, engineering and operations.
· Previous experience in execution and leading of projects.
· Sound technical knowledge of design of biotech facilities incl process, equipment, piping and other key design disciplines
· Engage in / lead design of solutions and improvements.
· Ability to convey information clearly and accurately to groups/individuals verbally and in writing to ensure understanding with an ability to listen and respond appropriately to others.
· Ability to prioritise and manage multiple tasks effectively.
· Ability to make decisions and take necessary actions. Good analytical skills and ability to think logically in order to problem solve. Evaluate information from problem solving activities. Experience of working in a team environment.
· A broad knowledge of Health, Safety, and Environmental requirements with a demonstrated commitment to safety.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.