North America External Medical Engagement Director
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
- Profile and create strategic engagement plan for relevant professional and medical societies across BioMarin therapeutic areas of interest; strengthen, develop and implement strategic partnerships with select ones
- Work cross-functionally and collaboratively to communicate the strategic plans internally; educate and inform internal stakeholders; ensure alignment, coordination, and resourcing to execute the strategic plans with leadership and matrix teams appropriately
- Collaborate with the Medical teams and additional cross-functional internal stakeholders to create and initiate innovative strategies, programs, and tactics with professional and medical societies in alignment with BioMarin’s business objectives and specific therapeutic area strategic imperatives
- Act as the primary point of contact for key external decision makers within the professional and medical societies and work collaboratively with internal partners to coordinate strategic engagements and facilitate partnerships, initiatives, and overarching research agreements
- Build strategic research collaborations with select patient advocacy groups based on areas of mutual interest in partnership with cross-functional internal partners
- Establish and implement best practices for engaging with key strategic external stakeholders
- Collaborate with Field Medical personnel and internal teams regarding oversight of collaborations with select large academic institutions and healthcare networks
- Facilitate clinical trials participation and awareness through established collaboration channels with key societies, networks, institutions, and advocacy groups in alignment with Clinical Operations and Field Medical
- 6+ years of experience in or with the pharmaceutical industry and/or significant experience with collaborative projects, thought leader engagement and/or partnerships
- Understand the mission and vision of professional societies and how to work effectively with such organizations
- Deep understanding of healthcare ecosystem; especially in areas of rare diseases
- Understanding of drug development across the continuum from development to commercialization and lifecycle management
- Expertise in building and/or coordinating strategic relationships with professional societies, advocacy groups, research networks, healthcare systems, and academic institutions
- Ability to liaise and collaborate with cross-functional team members, gain buy-in and alignment in matrixed environment, and effectively communicate with internal and external business partners
- Ability to prioritize effectively and focus the teams on high-impact collaborations
- Doctorate degree and 2 years of relevant experience OR
- Master’s degree and 4 years of relevant experience OR
- Bachelor’s degree and 6 years of relevant experience
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.