Research Associate II / Sr Research Associate I, Molecular Medicine, BioAnalytical Sciences, Translational Sciences
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases in four main therapeutic areas, hematology, cardiovascular, neuroscience and musculoskeletal. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Molecular Medicine Group within the Translational Sciences Department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical is seeking a Research Associate with industry experience in molecular biology to help drive understanding of the underlying mechanisms for successful therapeutic candidates in gene therapy and oligonucleotide modalities. The ideal candidate has a flexible mindset, natural curiosity and motivation to understand biology at the molecular and biochemical levels. We are investigating the uptake, distribution, structure, variability and durability of therapeutic candidates by expanding expertise in nucleic acid biology, to creatively develop and apply assays for detection of nucleic acids. The Molecular Medicine group strives to improve technologies to enable analysis on small samples with definitive results, including at the single cell/nuclei level. The group collaborates with the entire set of Translational Sciences functions to understand the molecular and cellular actions of our therapeutics in preclinical experiments through clinical delivery to our patients. As our expanding clinical stage pipeline evolves, this Research Associate will have the opportunity to contribute to molecular investigations on a variety of therapeutic modalities and the rare diseases that BioMarin strives to treat.
This position will be laboratory focused, and technically enriching. The Research Associate will be responsible for the design and execution of technically complex experiments to support multiple projects, and will provide quantitative data analysis, and interpretation of results. S/he will collaborate with colleagues in the Assay Strategy and Development and BioAnalysis groups, including to troubleshoot and validate assays. The Research Associate evaluates new lab equipment, evaluates complex methods and technologies, identifies new areas requiring process improvement and adapts existing processes or develops new ones with direct input and supervision from a manager. They may contribute to scientific publications and regulatory submissions as required. Molecular Medicine team values learning agility, open communication skills, willingness to support others’ experiments, and ability to trouble-shoot experiments on multiple platforms.
- Design and execute experiments to understand molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying rAAV gene therapy efficacy, variability, and durability – in a collaborative team environment.
- Develop and perform a variety of analytical methods to detect nucleic acids, biomarkers anddrug in biological matrices to support pre-clinical and clinical programs. Techniques may include (but are not limited to) nucleic acid extraction, single cell sequencing, multi-color droplet digital polymerase chain reaction (ddPCR), sequence-tagged molecular tracing, ultrasensitive protein assays, cell-based and ex vivo culture assays.
- Perform quantitative analysis within and across multiple experiments, including basic statistical and graphical analysis.
- Develop new techniques, or bring in new technology from the outside, to enhance the analytical capabilities of the group.
- Present results, conclusions, and implications to Molecular Medicine, BioAnalytical Sciences, and Translational Sciences groups and cross-functionally.
- Meticulously adhere to electronic data recording standards.
- Share responsibility for lab management duties.
- Participate and present data as a member of BioAnalytical teams, and share responsibility for project milestones.
- Present data and participate in discussion in Translational Sciences/Research and Early Development team meetings and as necessary.
- Participate in external scientific meetings and contribute to original peer-reviewed publications.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2+ years research experience in biomedical sciences.
- Broad technical proficiency
- Expertise in molecular and cell biology.
- Ability to solve complex scientific and technical issues independently.
- Demonstrated experience initiating new methods or technologies in an experimental laboratory setting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills: ability to cogently prepare and present data in group settings, prepare formal reports, communicate across functions.
- Strong teamwork skills – ability to solicit, receive, and give useful feedback.
- Ability to use computer effectively for data analysis and presentation.
- Bachelor (BS / BA) degree in a biological or biochemical field, with 0-4 years experience, Masters (MS) degree in a biological or biochemical field, with 0-2 years work experience with clinical/non-clinical biomarkers, molecular biology, cell biology, immunoassays, and/or other analytical methods.
- RA 2: Bachelor plus 2-4 years industry experience or Masters plus 0-2 years industry experience
- SRA 1: Bachelor plus 4-6 years industry experience or Masters plus 2-4 years industry experience
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.