Engineer 2, Automation/Controls
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
As a member of the BioMarin Novato Engineering and Facilities Services (NEFS) Automation team, you will support plant automation systems used in developing and commercializing first or best-in-class therapies for rare genetic diseases. This includes automation initiatives that require both short and long term development of plant automation systems, both validated and non-validated. You will provide a proven understanding of various automation platforms, automation integration, and troubleshooting/problem solving techniques. This role will work to optimizes and improve automation engineering approaches by combining technical expertise, best practices, life cycle management, engineering standards, and project delivery expertise.
- Develop, maintain, and support plant automation systems utilizing DeltaV Distributed Control Systems (DCS), Rockwell/Allen Bradley Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Human Machine Interfaces (HMI), and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition systems (SCADA), while following established BioMarin Quality Control procedures and Industry standards.
- Provide troubleshooting and problem-solving of existing plant automation systems.
- Lead/Support technical root cause analysis and provide recommendations/solutions for corrective actions.
- Lead/Support new system implementations or continuous improvement initiatives by performing automation assessments, creating/reviewing design documentation, performing automation configuration changes, supporting and/or executing acceptance or IOQ testing, and supporting engineering and process qualifications.
- Collaborate with manufacturing, process engineering, quality, and/or facilities to improve plant automation systems.
- Provide direction to junior engineers.
- Provide 24/7 automation support on a rotation based schedule(one week at a time, every 6-8 weeks)
- Perform automation system administration activities.
- Extensive understanding and background in PLC and data acquisition systems, distributed control systems, mechanical operation of equipment, and process control.
- Experience with developing GAMP controls documentation for internal projects as well as reviewing/approving vendor supplied documentation.
- Direct knowledge of plant automation systems and problem solving in a GMP biopharmaceutical production facility including equipment utilized in fermentation, cell separation and recovery, filtration, CIP, and clean utilities is preferred.
- Prior experience supporting plant automation systems strongly preferred.
- 5+ years combined experience in:
- Emerson DeltaV DCS system
- Allen-Bradley PLC hardware, software (SLC, CompactLogix, ControlLogix, RSLogix500, RSLogix5000, Studio 5000).
- GE iFIX SCADA and iBatch
- Networks and communication protocols (Ethernet, DeviceNet)
- Virtual infrastructure design and implementation
- Process control system installation, startup, and support with the ability to perform sophisticated troubleshooting activities
- Compliance and regulatory requirements such as 21 CFR Part 11, ASTM 2500, S88, S95, and GAMP
- BS or MS Chemical, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.