Research Associate 2 / Sr. Research Associate 1, BioAnalytical Sciences (BioMarkers)
Hiring Manager: Chris Russell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The Molecular Medicine Group, within BioAnalytical Sciences at BioMarin Pharmaceutical is currently recruiting exceptional individuals at the Research Associate 2 / Senior Research Associate 1 level. Successful candidates will join a dynamic interdisciplinary group aiming to investigate biological mechanisms for novel findings in our clinical and non-clinical programs. Applicants should have a Bachelors or Master’s degree in a relevant field, be experts in molecular biology, cell biology and biochemistry. The group aims to flexibly use the complete molecular and cellular toolkit to understand underlying mechanisms of action or effect, in collaboration with colleagues across the company.
The Sr./Research Associate will design and execute technically complex experiments to support these projects, with input and guidance from their supervisor. They will provide quantitative data analysis, interpretation of results, and contribute to technical reports. The S/RA will evaluate existing complex methods and technologies, develop new solutions, and collaborate across functions to solve technical problems. The Molecular Medicine team values learning agility, open communication skills, willingness to support others experiments, and ability to trouble-shoot experiments on multiple platforms. The S/RA also evaluates new lab equipment, recommends vendors, and provides assistance to assay development, troubleshooting and validation. They may contribute to scientific publications and regulatory submissions as required. Candidates for SRA will be expected to be capable of greater independence and contribution, but all members of the Molecular Medicine group are expected to interact with each other, sharing ideas, and seeking feedback from their supervisor and teammates.
The BioAnalytical Sciences (BAS) department is part of BioMarin’s interdisciplinary translational research group that is responsible for scientific analysis and strategy support for BioMarin’s innovative pipeline. BAS involvement stretches from discovery through clinical development, and includes ongoing support for BioMarin’s investigational gene therapies as well as marketed products. BioMarin’s Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
- Develop a variety of analytical methods to detect biomarkers, drug, and antibodies to protein therapeutics in biological matrices. Techniques may include (but are not limited to) nucleic acid extraction, reverse transcription (RT), polymerase chain reaction (PCR), enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA), electrochemiluminescence assays (ECLA), cell-based and ex vivo culture assays.
- Perform quantitative analysis within and across multiple experiments, including basic statistical and graphical analysis.
- Develop new techniques, or brings in new technology from the outside, to enhance the analytical capabilities of the group.
- Present results, conclusions, and implications to BioAnalytical Sciences group.
- Develop new techniques, or bring in new technology from the outside, to enhance the analytical capabilities of the group.
- Prepare SOPs and other reports and documents to support nonclinical and clinical programs and associated regulatory submissions. This includes qualification protocols, qualification reports, memoranda, and data reports for testing results.
- Meticulously adhere to electronic data recording standards
- Share responsibility for lab management duties.
- Participate and present data as a member of BioAnalytical teams, and share responsibility for project milestones.
- Present data and participate in discussion in Translational Sciences/Research and Early Development team meetings as necessary.
- Participate in external scientific meetings and contribute to original peer-reviewed publications.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 4+ years experience in biomedical sciences.
- Broad technical proficiency.
- Ability to solve moderately complex issues independently.
- Familiar with, or willingness to learn relevant GLP, GCLP, and other FDA guidances.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills: ability to cogently prepare and present data in group settings, prepare formal reports, give and receive useful feedback.
- Ability to use computer effectively for data analysis and presentation.
- Working knowledge of molecular and cell biology and biochemistry.
- Demonstrated experience initiating new methods or technologies in an experimental laboratory setting
Research Associate 2 Criteria:
- Bachelor (BS / BA) degree in a biological or biochemical field, with 4+ years experience with biomarker assays, molecular biology, cell biology, immunoassays, and/or other analytical methods.
- Masters (MS) degree in a biological or biochemical field, with 2+ year work experience with biomarker assays, cellular or molecular biology assays, immunoassays, and/or other analytical methods.
Sr. Research Associate I Criteria:
- Bachelor (BS / BA) degree in a biological or biochemical field, with 6+ years experience with biomarker assays, molecular biology, cell biology, immunoassays, and/or other analytical methods.
- Masters (MS) degree in a biological or biochemical field, with 4+ year work experience with biomarker assays, cellular or molecular biology assays, immunoassays, and/or other analytical methods.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.