The SQL Developer position is a hands-on technical role that involves extensive designing, coding, testing, implementation and on-going operations support/ maintenance of data and analytic products built leveraging the nation’s largest data warehouse of heath care membership and claims data.
Working under the supervision of project technical leads and actively collaborating with other developers, the Analytics Developer will apply proven software engineering and database standards and techniques to develop technical solutions that fulfill BHI’s project commitments to various clients and business partners.
The position requires both a solid ability and an intense passion for working with large volumes of raw data using SQL and other data query/analytics tools to transform such data into higher level objects that model healthcare business problems, which can then be analyzed to develop actionable insights and business solutions that positively impact healthcare financials and patient outcomes.
As a technical SME on the BHI data warehouse structure and semantics, the Analytics Developer will participate in requirements JAD sessions with client business/technical staff, BHI business analysts and account executives, providing specific technical inputs to help with project feasibility, effort estimation and efficient solution design.
- Participate in requirement analysis sessions as technical SME on BHI Data Warehouse and assist Business Analysts in translating functional specifications to technical data and process components.
- Work actively with business analysts and client business and technical staff to develop and document technical details on data requirements, process logic (algorithms/methodologies) related to project deliverables
- Lead technical design sessions to develop process flow charts, physical and logical data models for databases/data marts
- Develop highly optimized and well-documented SQL scripts to implement complex program logic and algorithms that transform the raw BHI data warehouse data into business-relevant data artefacts as per documented technical specifications
- Develop parameterized Linux shell scripts to automate the execution of periodic client deliverables.
- Develop innovative algorithms and processes to address business problems and improve operational efficiencies
Interact with IT and other technical staff to coordinate transfer of data between various environments and working closely with IT development in the operationalization of BHI analytic products
- Sound knowledge of Relational Database Concepts, database design, normalization and query optimization, with hands-on experience in one or more commercial RDBMS systems such as Vertica, DB2, SQL Server, Oracle etc.
- Proven ability to design, develop and interpret logical and physical data models
- Skilled in developing optimized, well-structured, moderate to complex SQL in large database/data warehouse environments, with extensive use of table joins, aggregate functions, analytic/OLAP and built-in functions and SQL programming constructs and techniques
- Experience working with database query and productivity tools such as DBVisualizer, TOAD
- Intermediate-level knowledge of Unix/Linux platform, shell scripting and standard utilities
- Knowledge of programming in at least one or more 3GLs such C, C++, C#, Pascal, Java or MS .NET platform
- Ability to analyze multi-dimensional datasets data with tools such as Excel, SAS, SQL etc. and interpret and present findings
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate to small and/or large audiences
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team setting.
- Is familiar with SOC 2 compliance and its impact on company policies and processes
- Understands importance of adhering to SOC 2 requirements, and maintains an effort to do so
- Experience working in the healthcare industry (payer or provider)
- Familiarity with healthcare claims data desired but not required
- Bachelor’s degree in Science/Mathematics/Statistics with majors in Computer Science, Information Technology or Management Information Systems
- At least 5 years of programming experience designing, developing and supporting database applications, with emphasis on SQL and database design
- Experience with Business Intelligence and Data Visualization tools such as Cognos, Tableau etc.
- Knowledge of Healthcare domain, especially payer and provider side business functions with exposure to Medical/Pharmacy Claims and Membership data
- Advanced analytic skills with the ability to analyze and interpret data through complex statistical analysis.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changes to both technology and business environments
- Skilled in creative and independent thinking
Equal Employment Opportunity It is the policy of BHI to provide equal employment opportunity and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by the federal, state or local laws