Sr. Healthcare Data Scientist
Responsible for providing leadership for the Company's initiatives in the area of artificial intelligence, predictive modeling, machine learning, algorithm development and advanced analytics. This is a high-level position responsible for our strategic direction in data science. The Sr. Data Scientist will help develop BHI’s advanced analytic strategy as well as develop standards for conducting and validating models, and use of appropriate techniques and tools. This position will also be responsible for working with the various business units and product teams to translate models into operational processes which are actionable and can be easily used by end users and customers.
The Senior Data Scientist position maybe client-facing and may be expected to attend customer meetings as well as sales presentations. This position may have extensive interaction with Blue Cross Plan executive level officers including Chief Medical Directors, CIOs, scientists and analysts. The Senior Data Scientist will represent BHI among healthcare analytic modeling thought leaders in the marketplace.
- Leadership in Data Science to ensure that BHI stays at the leading edge of health care analytics, especially using big data.
- Development of advanced analytic methodologies applied to healthcare claims data, and other integrated data sources, which drives analytic innovation and market leadership in healthcare analytics.
- Provide technical design, and implementation of models and algorithms and apply data mining techniques to large claims databases to identify refined approaches to business issues.
- Analysis, design, development, test, troubleshooting and documentation of complex data systems that may involve one or more of the following: predictive score models, feature extraction, data-driven analysis, machine learning, decision making and related utilities.
- Work with BHI data architects to develop data models to support advanced analytics and to provide input into other BHI initiatives such as the Data Vault.
- Identify process improvement opportunities within internal processes and through communications, programs and other activities as needed. Collaborate with the developers to implement improvements. Complete written documentation and reports of results. This will take the form of authoring business reports, presentations, internal white papers and statistical system documentation.
- Build consensus with internal and external staff on analytic modeling approaches, develop ideas for new modeling projects and programs to strengthen partner relationships and encourage BHI participation.
- Work with BHI business units and product teams to identify advanced analytic needs. Educate BHI staff on advanced analytics and machine learning on data needed, processes required as well as appropriate application data mining and advanced analytics.
- Communicate complex analytics methodology and results in a clear and concise manner to non- technical BHI staff, customers and others.
- Provides guidance in the resolution of complex data issues utilizing available resources and expertise in support of BHI analytic objectives.
- Serve as advisor and enhance the skills of the Informatics team as well as develop the skills of other health care analytics staff. Mentor junior staff including BHI interns on advanced analytics and machine learning.
- Ensure integrity, accuracy and timelines of all analyses.
Basic Qualifications - Required
- 7 plus years of progressively responsible experience in conducting advanced analytic modeling for large claims databases with real-world application,
- Application of advanced statistical, machine learning, and/or data mining techniques (i.e. classification, clustering, association mining, forecasting), to real-world problems with massive healthcare claims data
- Experience in a healthcare setting or work with health care data such as claims, EMR, among others.
- Strong experience using modeling tools such as R, PYTHON, SAS EDM, etc.
- Ability to effectively communicate results of statistical models to broad audience, and convert findings to actionable applications.
- Experience with external customers - conducting presentations, participating in strategy or QA meetings among others.
- Is familiar with SOC 2 compliance and its impact on company policies and processes.
- Understands importance of adhering to SOC 2 requirements, and maintains an effort to do so.
Basic Qualifications - Preferred
- PhD in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence or a related field
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are needed, including the ability to “translate” analytic concepts, approaches and results for executive or lay audiences, and interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate to small and/or large audiences (both internal and external to BHI). Experience in communicating to a senior management audience and ability to drive consensus on complex, controversial issues
- Requires demonstrated analytic skills and creativity to quickly integrate information and develop business proposals for new initiatives.
- Must have strong problem-solving skills, creativity, and strong attention to detail.
Equal Employment Opportunity It is the policy of BHI to provide equal employment opportunity and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by the federal, state or local laws