Senior Manager, Technical Accounting & Reporting
We are looking for a bright, passionate Senior Manager Technical Accounting & Reporting who is analytical, data-driven, and has a can-do approach to problem solving. This position will play a key role in helping our company scale its Finance organization to accommodate the requirements of its fast growing and dynamic AI software business.
You will be responsible for maintaining the company’s accounting policies, implementing new accounting standards, and performing complex technical accounting assessments, including primarily those related to revenue recognition under ASC 606, consolidation, equity, stock-based compensation, and business combinations. You will also evaluate and provide feedback and summaries of recent or pending transaction structures, and support the organization to help reduce the risk of misstatement of revenue or other pervasive business risks.
Critical to succeeding in this role is the ability to take ownership of areas, to critically think through an array of scenarios and gain a detailed understanding of proposed transaction structures. Additionally, the ability to provide detailed and business-savvy feedback to various levels of management and the ability to be a part of a dynamic and energetic team within a fast-paced organization will enable success in this role.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, you will work closely with the Assistant Controller and also support internal relationships across various organizations within the business, develop relationships with various client groups and employee levels, maintain/update/develop current process and internal controls, and perform other tasks as needed.
You will join a highly experienced, motivated, and collaborative Finance team with very high standards where your ideas to optimize our processes and grow through additional responsibilities of increasing complexity will be solicited and valued.
Responsibilities and Job Duties
- Research technical accounting matters and prepare well-written memorandums and presentations articulating these matters, including Software Revenue Recognition under ASC 606, Consolidation Analyses, Stock-based Compensation, Mergers and Acquisitions (Business Combinations), Investment Accounting, Impairment Analyses, Lease Accounting and other specific transactions.
- Review contracts, evaluate and communicate accounting consequences of potential transactions.
- Partner with the Sales Organization to understand the revenue recognition treatment of potential customer contracts under ASC 606 and document appropriate accounting memorandums.
- Lead the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of process and system changes.
- Identify, evaluate impact, and implement new and evolving ASUs.
- Make recommendations for improving system efficiencies and business practices as needed and ensuring that company policies and procedures are followed.
- Ensure compliance with internal control policies in a SOX environment.
- Collaborate with external auditors to ensure successful audit results and compliance.
- Assist with preparation and review of our quarterly financial statements and annual audited reports.
- Work cross-functionally with internal departments and liaise with company management, product, engineering, sales, customer success, and internal subject matter experts on business initiatives.
Qualifications and Skills
- Strong technical skills as it applies to:
- Detailed revenue analysis and software revenue recognition under ASC 606 (must have).
- Accounting for common and preferred stock transactions.
- Stock-based compensation arrangements.
- Drafting and reviewing financial statements and disclosures.
- Identification and application of technical accounting guidance to client situations and the ability to analyze and account in accordance with GAAP.
- Experience writing technical accounting position papers.
- SEC Reporting, Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K and S-1 is a plus, but not required.
- A track record of ensuring work is delivered timely and in accordance with quality standards.
- Ability to provide ad hoc accounting advice as may arise in the course of business or as may be requested, research accounting literature and write technical position papers.
- Experience interacting with auditors in connection with significant transactions during the year, and in connection with the year-end audit procedures.
- Experience and familiarity with software and technology industries.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Collaboration with various internal stakeholders to ensure technical accounting matters are accurately reported in financial statements.
- 5-10 years of work experience, preferably with the significant experience with “Big 4” accounting firm.
- BA/BS degree with a strong academic record.
- Strong project management skills; ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize workloads.
Other Skills and Attributes
- Strong computer skills, including specific knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Broad experience with other software and financial systems such as NetSuite, Adaptive, Kronos is a plus.
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interface with all levels of the organization to collect information and drive resolution.
- Must be detail-oriented, have a proactive approach and the ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Must be able to effectively manage and prioritize critical deadlines.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and non-political team environment.
About Beyond Limits
Beyond Limits is a pioneering Artificial Intelligence company with a technology legacy in Space Exploration. A spinoff of NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab and Caltech, Beyond Limits provides advanced intelligence solutions that go far beyond conventional AI. Our cognitive computing technology mimics human thought processes and provides autonomous reasoning to aid human-like decision-making.
Beyond Limits provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Beyond Limits complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Beyond Limits expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Beyond Limit’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.