Buyer, Bike Hardgoods
POSITION TITLE: Bike Hardgoods Merchandising
REPORTS TO: Senior Buyer- Bike Hardgoods
LOCATION: Park City
Our Backcountry.com merchants are responsible for achieving the financial goals within their Merchandise Division (MD). We empower you to set and implement a purchase plan which allows us to exceed all financial goals. If you want a fast-paced work environment with the opportunity to buy the gear you love, this could be your job!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Assortment Selection: Own business strategy for pricing, category / brand mix, and selection of inventory for the Bikes Hard Goods. Merchants must be deeply knowledgeable with current road, gravel, eBike and mountain market trends. Able to form an opinion on the long and short-term direction of the cycling industry. Must be able to develop omni-channel approach with assortment selection to achieve results across brick and mortar and ecommerce channels.
● Relationship Management: Develop relationships with bike brands and work to create the best partnership in their customer list. Present brand level performance to brand executives and provide insight on market trends. Merchants must be personable and enjoy face-time with vendors – travel for relationship development and occasional bike rides with our brands is required. A well-spoken individual with an ability to think critically and offer opinionated insight is critical to this role.
● Vendor Negotiations: Negotiate discounts, terms, pricing policies, promotional periods, closeout buys, and order issue resolutions. Merchants will additionally oversee SKU imagery, price-matching, and special / exclusive buys.
● PO Management: Develop spreadsheets for SKU / PO worksheet creation, build POs (quantity / dollar / style allocation, size / color breakout) and ensure on time submission to vendors. Merchants will additionally ensure timely management of PO edits as well as execution and maintenance of all PO build types (Pre-season, ASAP, Closeout).
● Marketing: brainstorming/hind-sighting Promo concepts and performance, identifying types of promo and building calendar with marketing, picking SKU’s/links and Rules pages, reviewing and providing Creative briefs, review, QA and approve functionality, review and react to performance, and identifying risks in promotional calendar and building back-ups.
● Pricing: Sets Pre-season pricing strategy, sets in-line/in-Season pricing (promo periods, price matching, promotional calendar management), manages end of season price-break dates, communicates all in-season and end of season price breaks to marketing team and is responsible for assignment to the promotional calendar, sets and monitor discount on all Closeout buys.
● Inventory Management: manages the Open to Buy (OTB), hind sighting SKU/Category performance, establishing Preseason PO Receipt Flow, Preseason inventory allocation, aggressively pursue Closeout opportunities to fill Closeout OTB, set in season sell-through targets, pricing strategy for slow movers, moving aged and toxic inventory, closeout inventory, manages Return to Vendor (RTV) and mark-down dollar requests with vendor, and ensures inventory management strategy aligned with Companywide financial goals.
● Online Merchandising: reviews/optimizes color thumbnail displayed on PLP and Search pages, oversees the boosting/sort order for responsible brands/categories, sets up Cross Sell/Up Sells tools, manages Backorders, review and optimizes site taxonomy and facets, and utilized Kit Calculator as required per category.
● P&L Responsibility: own revenue, margin, inventory, receipt flow, and in-stocks levels for the division.
● Team Management: ensures utilization and development of team members and work closely with Planning partner and departmental team to ensure all initiatives and goals are met
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
● 5-7 years of Bike Industry Merchandising and Buying experience
● Knowledge around trends within Road, Mountain, Gravel, eBike bikes and components
● Ability to spec bikes and understand compatibility of bike components
● Ability to develop marketing stories that covers a multi-channel business with varying levels of customer expertise.
● Willingness and ability to travel to as needed
● Firm understanding of Retail Math and Fundamentals
● Proficient in Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel formulas and pivot tables a must)
● Excellent organizational skills and extreme attention to detail
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Strong analytical and time management skills
● Ability to perform under pressure and prioritize competing tasks / initiative
Seek it. Find it. Send it. We help customers seek the perfect gear for their backcountry, find their awe, and send it their way. Through our five brands—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and Steep&Cheap—we give our customers the gear, knowledge, and inspiration they need to chase life’s greatest moments. We foster local outdoor communities around the locations of our expanding number of retail stores, and we’re actively creating a more inclusive and equitable outdoors for all through our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives.
We’re a company of Gearheads and we offer personalized expertise at every level of the organization. This means we curate the best assortment of premium gear and apparel, a premium shopping experience, personalized Gearhead advice, super-fast and accurate fulfillment, and aspirational and informative content.
We take growth and personal fulfillment seriously. For our employees—aka, our Herd—this means career growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. We offer perks like an exceptional gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office.
When you join the Backcountry Herd, you join a crew that is passionate about their jobs and equally stoked on the outdoors. Pre-dawn skintrack laps are the norm, MTB rides are our lunch break, and you’ll regularly find coworkers hitting the trail together post-work. Benefits are competitive and include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, Flexible Spending or Health Savings Account.