Senior Network Engineer (REMOTE)
SR. NETWORK ENGINEER
This position is responsible for both physical and application network engineering throughout all of Backcountry’s environments. Subject matter expert of and for all technical aspects of networking, with respect to applications and services, but will also be accountable as part of a shared team for the proper configuration, management and support of all physical network equipment and services. This position works as a member of the Backcountry Security/Network/Phone Team in TechOps. This person provides frontline incident management for all network events, as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Coordinate and establishes networking environment by installing, configuring, testing, and documenting the equipment/network systems according to the design and specifications.
- Responds to work orders and tickets, analyzes, and coordinates and/or resolves reported network problems.
- Overseeing research, testing, configuring, installing, and maintaining equipment
- Analyzing known performance issues and leading the process of resolving outages
- Responsible for working with internal groups and external partners in the design, acceptance testing, and production implementation for all infrastructure.
- Responsible for designing, implementing, and supporting all network hardware and configurations.
- Prepare written reports and other technical documentation necessary to communicate ideas, concepts, and details necessary to accomplish specific goals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Thorough understanding of multiple OSI layer protocols and technologies: TCP/IP (v4 & v6) and related protocols.
- Strong understanding of Internet Protocols and interior/exterior routing protocols (e.g. BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, MPLS, Multicast, IPv6 )
- Knowledge of DNS, DHCP, and IP Management
- Proficiency with VLAN, HSRP and Port Security
- An understanding of different cabling types: Multimode fiber, single-mode fiber, LC versus SC
- Knowledge of applications protocols and very good knowledge of protocol and packet analysis.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science or Applied Science in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, or equivalent
- 3-5 years of service provider network experience
- Experience with enterprise and commercial networks and the various components included.
- Network engineering and architecture experience - excellent understanding of Internet and datacenter topologies
- Experience configuring, and troubleshooting a variety of network equipment especially Cisco, PaloAlto and VMWare VeloCloud - solid understanding of associated vendor hardware architecture and characteristics.
- Experience in using network protocol analyzers and sniffers such as WireShark, Network monitor and has the ability to decipher packet captures.
- Experience using troubleshooting tools: traceroute, ping, mtr, nmap, netstat, ipconfig/ifconfig, iperf
- Experience working with switching and routing protocols.
- Experienced in virtualization platforms VMWare and Hyper-V
Seek it. Find it. Send it. We help customers seek the perfect gear for their backcountry, find their awe, and send it their way. Through our five brands—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and Steep&Cheap—we give our customers the gear, knowledge, and inspiration they need to chase life’s greatest moments. We foster local outdoor communities around the locations of our expanding number of retail stores, and we’re actively creating a more inclusive and equitable outdoors for all through our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives.
We’re a company of Gearheads and we offer personalized expertise at every level of the organization. This means we curate the best assortment of premium gear and apparel, a premium shopping experience, personalized Gearhead advice, super-fast and accurate fulfillment, and aspirational and informative content.
We take growth and personal fulfillment seriously. For our employees—aka, our Herd—this means career growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. We offer perks like an exceptional gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office.
When you join the Backcountry Herd, you join a crew that is passionate about their jobs and equally stoked on the outdoors. Pre-dawn skintrack laps are the norm, MTB rides are our lunch break, and you’ll regularly find coworkers hitting the trail together post-work. Benefits are competitive and include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, Flexible Spending or Health Savings Account