Senior Buyer, Closeout
Our Backcountry merchants are responsible for curating a best-in-class assortment and achieving the financial goals within their Merchandise Division (MD). We empower you to set and implement a purchase plan which allows us to exceed all financial goals. If you want a fast-paced work environment with the opportunity to buy the gear you love, this could be your job!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Closeout Assortment Selection: Develops strategic direction for the Closeout assortment including key items, growth classifications, and category/brand mix. Balances opportunity buys with pro-active/up front assortment planning and development. Identifies and on boards new resources.
- Business Management: Owns revenue, margin, inventory, and receipt flow for the Closeout business for both Backcountry and Steep & Cheap. Develops and executes strategies to drive the business.
- Inventory Management: Manages the Open to Buy (OTB), hind sights SKU/Category performance, and ensures inventory management strategy aligned with Companywide financial goals.
- Vendor Negotiations: Negotiates terms, key price points, margin targets, image use, etc. Represents Backcountry in vendor meetings.
- Marketing Inputs: Communicates key items and themes for season, brainstorms/hind-sights promo concepts and reacts to performance, identifies risks in promotional calendar and building back-ups
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILILTIES:
- 4-6 years of Merchandising experience, Closeout experience strongly preferred and Outdoor experience a plus
- Outstanding time management skills: ability to meet deadlines and exercise judgement under pressure
- Excellent organizational skills and extreme attention to detail
- Clear ability to communicate business results, must be solution-oriented
- Excellent presentation skills and strong negotiation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel a must)
Seek it. Find it. Send it. We help customers seek the perfect gear for their backcountry, find their awe, and send it their way. Through our five brands—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and Steep&Cheap—we give our customers the gear, knowledge, and inspiration they need to chase life’s greatest moments. We foster local outdoor communities around the locations of our expanding number of retail stores, and we’re actively creating a more inclusive and equitable outdoors for all through our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives.
We’re a company of Gearheads and we offer personalized expertise at every level of the organization. This means we curate the best assortment of premium gear and apparel, a premium shopping experience, personalized Gearhead advice, super-fast and accurate fulfillment, and aspirational and informative content.
We take growth and personal fulfillment seriously. For our employees—aka, our Herd—this means career growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. We offer perks like an exceptional gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office.
When you join the Backcountry Herd, you join a crew that is passionate about their jobs and equally stoked on the outdoors. Pre-dawn skintrack laps are the norm, MTB rides are our lunch break, and you’ll regularly find coworkers hitting the trail together post-work. Benefits are competitive and include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, Flexible Spending or Health Savings Account.