Assistant Product Developer
Assistant Product Developer
Backcountry’s Owned Brands division is looking for a Assistant Product Developer to help support this rapidly growing portion of the overall business. This role is responsible for supporting the Sourcing team throughout the development stage with focus on data management, sample tracking and product development calendar adherence. This position will maintain departmental tools and reports and coordinate with cross functional teams to ensure department and business objectives are met in a timely manner.
Our Sourcing team oversees the development and bulk production process for our private label apparel and hardgoods. The team is hands on with the product from initial designs through the delivery into our warehouse. The sourcing team helps in finding the highest quality materials for all of our brands. We are looking for someone who can roll up their sleeves and help execute on the strategic initiatives of the division.
ABOUT THE JOB:
● Work as part of the Product Development team and will demonstrate flexibility to support all aspects of the product development roles and responsibilities.
● Work closely with Tech Designers, Designers and PLMs to ensure calendar dates are met
● Attend design pack handover meetings with Design, PLM, Tech Design and Product Development and note where new trims need to be developed
● Maintain Centric system by building skeleton tech packs and building the Bill of materials out in full detail and maintaining updates and changes made to the BOM during style changes.
● Work with trim suppliers on development of new trims, tracking trim submit send dates, logging trim submits received and passing along comments and approvals to trim suppliers. Build a trim development tracking chart in google docs excel.
● Responsible for seasonal color labdipping, maintaining an excel tracking tool of all fabric by color with L/D send dates, arrival dates and comments/approvals. Communicate comments/approvals to mills once it is reviewed with the Product Development Manager.
● Responsible for setting up seasonal excel Sourcing WIP’s and use as a tracking tool for fabric sample orders, proto xdates, costing inputs. Any changes made to styles during proto reviews would be this person’s responsibility to update the excel document
● Track and monitor all proto/trim/lab-dip submit dates and share with product teams as required.
● Assist with sending new style recaps to factories for costing and quality review
● Assist with information pertaining weekly design flow meetings with cross functional team.
● Support Owned Brands team with administrative and production-related tasks
● Able to conduct after hours skype meetings with factories
● Work with Product Development Manager for all miscellaneous tasks
● Attend cross functional and milestone meetings as needed
● Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion or equivalent experience desired.
● 1-3 years of experience in garment manufacturing/product development/production/sourcing
● Working knowledge of apparel and hardgoods production process
● Foundational understanding of global trade agreements and trade regulations.
● Must be able to troubleshoot production issues and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
● Team player with ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial environment
● Experience in private label preferred
● Experience with Centric preferred.
● Strong MS Office, especially Excel skills preferred.
● Ability to work independently and collaboratively with management and cross functional teams.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills.
● Strong attention to details.
● Ability to work proactively and problem solve.
● Strong time management and organizational skills.
● Ability to multitask and work in high pace environment.
● Good analytical skills.
● Good judgment and decision-making ability.
● Deadline driven, self-starter and extremely detail oriented
● Ability to work quickly
Seek it. Find it. Send it. We help customers seek the perfect gear for their backcountry, find their awe, and send it their way. Through our five brands—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and Steep&Cheap—we give our customers the gear, knowledge, and inspiration they need to chase life’s greatest moments. We foster local outdoor communities around the locations of our expanding number of retail stores, and we’re actively creating a more inclusive and equitable outdoors for all through our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives.
We’re a company of Gearheads and we offer personalized expertise at every level of the organization. This means we curate the best assortment of premium gear and apparel, a premium shopping experience, personalized Gearhead advice, super-fast and accurate fulfillment, and aspirational and informative content.
We take growth and personal fulfillment seriously. For our employees—aka, our Herd—this means career growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. We offer perks like an exceptional gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office.
When you join the Backcountry Herd, you join a crew that is passionate about their jobs and equally stoked on the outdoors. Pre-dawn skintrack laps are the norm, MTB rides are our lunch break, and you’ll regularly find coworkers hitting the trail together post-work. Benefits are competitive and include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, Flexible Spending or Health Savings Account.