Director of Retail
ABOUT THE JOB
Reporting to the SVP of Gearheads, the Director of Retail will lead the execution of Backcountry’s retail strategy across all of North America, where you will be responsible for extending Backcountry’s differentiating Gearhead experience in the brick and mortar environment. Gearheads are Backcountry's in-house product experts, who bundle their service expertise as an extension of our product offerings; building relevant, authentic and personalized relationships with customers that translates to loyalty and incremental value to the business. As the leader of this channel, you will be responsible for the retail P&L, driving performance to sales and profitability targets across all stores, managing new store openings, maintaining merchandising standards and replenishment levels, building a store team of highly motivated operators, and building the playbook for future retail growth. You’ll evolve the integration points of Retail through collaboration with Marketing, Merchandising, Technology, Training, Product and People teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively lead store teams by being accessible, present and involved in the day to day employee experience
- Execute on the vision for each store, establishing benchmarks for store management teams to learn, iterate and progress learnings to inform the long term strategy of retail
- Closely monitor and analyze sales performance in all stores. Ensure that all employees are assigned sales and productivity goals and that they receive training and coaching to reach these goals.
- Achieve or exceed annual budgets and develop strategies to achieve targets at the store level and for all of retail.
- Ensure that Store Managers, District and Regional Managers proactively manage the customer journey and clienteling process.
- Partner closely with the Merchandising and Supply Chain teams to ensure that all stores have the correct product assortment and product availability to achieve sales goals.
- Propose and develop actions to strengthen the relationship with existing customers and reach out for new customers and strengthen awareness of the Backcountry brand
- Support execution of market activation strategy by coordinating with marketing teams to staff and support various activation tactics within the local community
- Establish and maintain productive relationships with key cross functional partners, local community leaders and persons of influence
- Cultivate and grow a strong team of committed managers that will maintain employee satisfaction, sales targets, profit margins and execute on business plans
- Responsible for recruiting and staffing for stores, closely coordinated with the People and Recruiting teams
- Manage the employee review process across all stores, creating a culture of high performance individuals
- Ensure that training initiatives are effectively implemented across all locations
- Provide leadership and share the company vision to motivate and retain staff.
- Identify talent and prepare and implement development plans and succession plans with a view to supporting the growth of the business
- Train employees, plan, assign and direct work; praise performance; reward and discipline employees; address complaints and resolve problems
- Extend cultural values to lead with customer empathy and collaboration, resolving any customer issues or complaints with successful outcome
- Responsible for the retail P&L.
- Lead and collaborate on the budget and developing strategies to achieve financial targets
- Develop store teams to be highly effective operators, capable of managing labor efficiently while driving sales and customer experien ce
- Streamline retail operations processes and procedures to ensure that they are efficient and effective.
- Lead the store opening process for new stores.
- Create the playbook for future retail expansion by developing the “kit of parts” for all relevant areas
- Partner with Merchandising, Marketing, Finance, Creative, Fulfillment, Operations, Training and People, and 3rd party vendors to achieve all requirements to opening each store on time pursuant to the project timeline and budget
- Ensure internal control procedures are implemented and closely monitored. Work with the Loss Prevention and Gearhead Operations to implement and monitor policies and procedures for the stores.
- Safeguard the physical security of company assets, customers, and employees.Monitor and manage inventory levels, shrinkage, replenishment and visual merchandising needs to match location specific requirements
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- 10+ years of retail leadership experience.
- Experience as a Regional Manager, Regional Vice President or National Director in a retail environment is preferred
- Act as a brand ambassador.
- Strong computer skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Experience managing complex projects
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to travel extensively and work a flexible schedule.
- Ability to engage staff, monitor and motivate performance
- Good listening skills – able to encourage team and individual feedback
- Skilled at analyzing and interpreting metrics, utilizing reporting to help drive healthy competition
- Coaching and mentoring ability
- Proven ability to create policies that generate profits in multiple retail locations
- Strong interpersonal communication, decision making, and negotiations skills
- Business development and strategy implementation knowledge
- Ability to sell, manage, and drive growth
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills are required
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on the needs of the business
Seek it. Find it. Send it. We help customers seek the perfect gear for their backcountry, find their awe, and send it their way. Through our five brands—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and Steep&Cheap—we give our customers the gear, knowledge, and inspiration they need to chase life’s greatest moments. We foster local outdoor communities around the locations of our expanding number of retail stores, and we’re actively creating a more inclusive and equitable outdoors for all through our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives.
We’re a company of Gearheads and we offer personalized expertise at every level of the organization. This means we curate the best assortment of premium gear and apparel, a premium shopping experience, personalized Gearhead advice, super-fast and accurate fulfillment, and aspirational and informative content.
We take growth and personal fulfillment seriously. For our employees—aka, our Herd—this means career growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. We offer perks like an exceptional gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office.
When you join the Backcountry Herd, you join a crew that is passionate about their jobs and equally stoked on the outdoors. Pre-dawn skintrack laps are the norm, MTB rides are our lunch break, and you’ll regularly find coworkers hitting the trail together post-work. Benefits are competitive and include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, Flexible Spending or Health Savings Account.