Design Manager - Backcountry
POSITION TITLE: Design Manager
LOCATION: Park City
The Production Design Manager is a lead role in our in-house creative team. The role sits within the Art department, that is responsible for the creative direction for our portfolio brands including Backcountry, Steep and Cheap, our Owned Brand lines, as well as Brick and Mortar Retail. You will be working on a broad set of challenges, from enhancing the brand position of some of the leading brands in the outdoor space, as well as helping build new brands through grassroots marketing efforts. The position will support a number of initiatives, working on an array of campaigns - online and offline - that support brand and financial objectives. The position will be managing a cross-functional team including designers, editing and web developers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Responsible for developing and executing the Creative Director's vision through the production of various brand campaigns.
● Become a partner in executing vision developed through the Art Director.
● Responsible for ensuring the accuracy and brand consistency of design through all phases of a project.
● Ensures that projects meet or exceed creative design intent and achieves creative desired customer experience on budget and schedule. (May include: MDF’s, Promos, Emails, Banners, etc)
● Oversees and gives day to day work assignments to the production team during all phases of the project, in a manner that meets the project design intent, schedule and budget.
● Manage, develop and coach a small team including design, editing and web development.
● Develop best practices and instruct teams on how to build them. (May include: Production Process, Naming Conventions, File building, etc)
● Key participant in cost, schedule, technical, integration and other discussions.
● Organizes and manages in-house and external design resources to ensure successful delivery.
● Partner closely with CD and Art Director to understand campaign brief and ensure reliable handover into production.
● Work with UX design and engineering to partner with and implement vision
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
● B.S., B.A., B.F.A or equivalent with 5+ years related work experience.
● Strong background in graphic design, ideally in retail and eCommerce spaces
● Able to articulate ideas clearly through both written and spoken form.
● Able to manage a team to strict deadlines and multiple projects.
● Ability to manage budgets within project scope
● Able to provide feedback well 1:1 and within group situations.
● Previous management experience is not required but preferred.
● Proficient in the Adobe Suite.
● Interest or passion for the outdoor industry
● Wants to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
Seek it. Find it. Send it. We help customers seek the perfect gear for their backcountry, find their awe, and send it their way. Through our five brands—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and Steep&Cheap—we give our customers the gear, knowledge, and inspiration they need to chase life’s greatest moments. We foster local outdoor communities around the locations of our expanding number of retail stores, and we’re actively creating a more inclusive and equitable outdoors for all through our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives.
We’re a company of Gearheads and we offer personalized expertise at every level of the organization. This means we curate the best assortment of premium gear and apparel, a premium shopping experience, personalized Gearhead advice, super-fast and accurate fulfillment, and aspirational and informative content.
We take growth and personal fulfillment seriously. For our employees—aka, our Herd—this means career growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. We offer perks like an exceptional gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office.
When you join the Backcountry Herd, you join a crew that is passionate about their jobs and equally stoked on the outdoors. Pre-dawn skintrack laps are the norm, MTB rides are our lunch break, and you’ll regularly find coworkers hitting the trail together post-work. Benefits are competitive and include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, Flexible Spending or Health Savings Account.