Divisional Merchandise Manager, Men's Private Label Brands
POSITION TITLE: Divisional Merchandise Manager - Men's
BUSINESS/COMPANY/DEPARTMENT: Owned Brands
LOCATION: Park City
Lead the development of owned brands products for Backcountry’s private label brands, coordinating efforts with Design, Sourcing, Planning, Marketing, Merchandising, Gearheads, Quality Control, and Fulfillment to deliver the highest quality gear and apparel. Responsible for managing the product life cycle from beginning to end as well as achieving or exceeding the revenue, sell thru, and gross margin targets each season.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Drive the strategic growth of Backcountry’s private label brands through all the stages of the product lifecycle from seasonal product strategy and trend direction, to product development and building the assortment architecture and financial plans, to executing the omni channel roll out of the assortment and managing the business in season, to end of season sell down
- Develop the strategy and assortment architecture for Backcountry, Stoic and Heber Peak that enable us to hit our financial targets and customer growth targets.
- Conduct business and trend research to ensure our business is positioned competitively within the market.
- Coach and mentor the team to deliver compelling assortments that achieve our seasonal goals.
- Work cross functionally with marketing to ensure men's marketing messages are aligned to our product vision and are achieving our growth goals.
- Work with the store team to develop a strategy for our men's assortment in stores.
- Drive the seasonal development calendar milestones with the entire cross functional team
- Build seasonal roadmap for the assortment that incorporates business drivers, key items, grow/maintain/decline strategies, and white space opportunities
- Partner with the design team on seasonal trends across style, fit, fabric, color, and print/pattern
- Partner with the sourcing and tech design team on fabric and trim selection, fit and color approvals, and production schedules and vendor allocation
- Build seasonal financial plans with planning partners and create pre-season style level assortment plans to drive sku productivity
- Accountable for delivering on revenue, IMU, and gross margin goals
- Accountable for delivering elevated, differentiated product at a great price every season
- Drive decision making with the executive team
- Coordinate and drive “co-lab” development with key third party brands
- Collaborate with planners to optimize pricing, forecasting, and inventory accuracy
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the other Owned Brands merchants and Third Party merchants to ensure that we are creating unique and differentiated product between our Owned Brands and Third Party Brands
- Partner with QC lead to identify product quality issues
- Coordinate product review sessions with Gearheads to ensure this is a constant feedback loop
- Collaborate with the marketing team on seasonal big idea, product launches, sample hand offs, and key attributes of the assortment
- Partner with the visual merchandising team to ensure the vision for the assortment comes to life on our site and in our stores
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- 8+ years of experience in Merchandising with deep understanding of Design, Product Development, Assortment architecture, financial planning, and production and sourcing of apparel and accessories
- A product driven merchant with a strong sense of trend and style that has the ability to filter trends and ideas and adapt them into the brand
- Highly analytical with a proven understanding of how to build financial plans that maximize the assortment
- Willing to take smart risks on unknown and new ideas based on a combination of data and “gut”
- Strong leader with great command presence who can influence and build credibility with the cross functional team and the executive team
- Track record of developing talent in merchandising
- Experience in outdoor, active, and/or vertical specialty omni channel and/or ecommerce businesses
- Experience building and executing assortment architecture and buy plans
- Strong working knowledge of the product development process
- Working knowledge of material development, sourcing, garment costing, and lead times
- Willingness to travel to trade shows, vendors, and manufacturing partners.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task effectively and work on multiple seasons at once
- Team player who will thrive in a fast paced entrepreneurial environment where we are still writing the future