Site Reliability Engineering Intern (Virtual) - Summer 2021
Backcountry’s engineers are aggressive about finding new technologies to make systems better, faster, more stable, and more interesting to work on. Any developer in the company can get passionate about something new, start using it, and rally others around putting it into production.
SREs at Backcountry play a crucial role in helping facilitate and provide structure to this innovation. We vet technologies for production readiness, provide deployment guidelines and support the operational environments. We strive to do this in a collaborative way with our Engineering counterparts as we work toward migrating the organization to a DevOps culture.
About the Job
- Full stack ownership - load balancers, web servers, application servers and caching services
- Develop and support applications to manage, maintain and support our infrastructure ( Infrastructure as Code )
- Participate in code reviews with other SREs
- Participate in production systems troubleshooting sessions - data, hardware, software, application and network
- Monitor system health and capacity
- Collaborate with Software Development Engineering teams to build, deploy and support capabilities into Backcountry systems
- Good command of data structures (queues, stacks, heaps,etc)
- Ability to translate algorithms to code (preferably Python or Java ) in order to solve problems
- Understanding of Software Development Lifecycle (SDL)
- General knowledge of operating system internal concepts: filesystems, processes, threads, memory allocation, cpu allocation
- Basic understanding of Containerization
- Basic understanding of transport layers protocols: TCP/UDP
- Basic understanding of application layer protocols such as DNS, HTTP, HTTPS, SSH, Telnet, SMTP
- Basic understanding of relational and non-relational database technologies
- Ability to learn new software, technologies, frameworks and APIs
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks
Characteristics and Behaviors
- Obsess about gaining and maintaining customer trust. Always think about how you are improving the customer's life with what you are doing.
- True belief in serving great engineers and creating a team that is world-class. People should be able to look back at their time as part of your team and truly feel that it added value to their careers.
- Attitude of taking ownership and getting things done. While we would love for you to have the capability to consistently make good decisions, it is even more important that you accept responsibility when you’ve made bad ones.
- Be at the top of your game with a deep curiosity of the latest and greatest in technology and infrastructure with a bias towards self-education when faced with unfamiliar technologies, problems, or objectives.
- Have a backbone! Strongly advocate your beliefs of what is best for Backcountry. You state your opinions and disagreements directly by remaining candid as well as apolitical.
- Relentlessly escalate the decisions you are most concerned about; escalation trumps compromise. Yet, once a decision is made, you wholeheartedly commit to it as if it were your own.
Why join the Backcountry Engineering Team?
The best place to do cutting edge technology work and embrace an outdoor lifestyle!
Cutting Edge Technology & Proven Systems: We are committed to owning our technology and constantly evolving to keep pace with modern tools, frameworks, and architecture patterns. We’re actively replacing legacy systems with brand new technology, and there are no arbitrary standards about what technologies are acceptable.
“I like that we own and implement many of our core software systems in-house. It puts us in control of our destiny.”
Make an Impact: Our engineers are creative professionals, not order-takers or code monkeys, and they play a significant part in solving important problems at Backcountry. Any developer in the company can get passionate about something new, start using it, and get others excited about getting it into production; if you can convince other people it’s a good idea, you can do it.
“We are designing and building the foundation of the next generation of software for the company. This is an exciting opportunity (that is rare in an established company) to have a fundamental impact on the design and direction of the future software”
Grow, Stretch & Master: Curiosity is king; we delight in opportunities to take on new challenges and learn new ways of solving problems. There are endless opportunities to stretch your skillsets, take on new challenges, become better leaders, solve difficult problems in elegant ways, and build your career.
“Healthy culture within our Engineering department of continuously learning and keeping aware of new tech”
Talent Community & Outdoor Lifestyle: On any given day, you’ll find groups of employees backcountry skiing before coming into work, trail running during lunch, taking a happy hour bike ride, or returning from a kayaking trip. Your coworkers work hard, play hard, and relish in the opportunity to encourage others to try a new outdoor pursuit. There is no better company in the world to feed your passion for technology and the outdoors.
“The ability to be creative and adventurous technically here is rare and awesome.”
Backcountry is the leading online retailer of premium outdoor gear. Our mission at Backcountry, why we exist, is to connect people to their passions. We create remarkable customer experiences through the best selection of outdoor product, a flawless shopping experience, the expertise of our gearheads, the lightning speed of our fulfillment, and the shared knowledge of our Community. We operate six online specialty stores – Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, SteepandCheap, and WhiskeyMilitia.
Check us out in action here: