Retail General Manager
POSITION TITLE: General Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Retail
LOCATION: Seattle, WA
Important Information: This store is scheduled to open in March 2022. We are looking to hire this role by Mid-Late January 2022. Interviews will begin for this role in mid November. Thank you for taking the time to apply!
The Retail General Manager is the business unit owner of the retail store location. Their most important duty is to manage and lead their store. They are the leaders, trainers, and motivators in the field. They are strategic, ambitious, and autonomous. They are on the front line of executing company initiatives. They will work passionately to get the job done.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Drive customer experience excellence to every aspect of the store, including store appearance, display of merchandise, product placement, story layout, and selling procedures
- Analyzes results, identifies opportunities and makes decisions in collaboration with the leadership team to drive key performance indicators
- Ensure strategic goals and sales targets of the store are met by maximizing sales and gross profit, reviewing sales performance, controlling expenses, and managing inventory
- Develop top performers - track individual, team, and retail results to identify and act on both positive and negative performance trends to ensure attainment of revenue goals and performance targets
- Hire, train, develop, and supervise staff
- Provide staff with feedback, coaching, and performance evaluations
- Coordinate daily staffing and staffing schedules
- Actively lead store teams by being accessible, present and involved in the day to day employee experience
- Ensure the store complies with outlined safety policies and procedures, as well as state and local health regulations
- Identify talent and prepare and implement development plans and succession plans with a view to supporting the growth of the business
- Make sure wages, work hours, and equal employment opportunities are upheld according to federal and state laws
- Leads the implementation and execution of all Standard Operating Procedures and initiatives
- Extend cultural values to lead with customer empathy and collaboration, resolving any customer issues or complaints with successful outcome
- Perform administrative tasks to support the smooth operation of all store operations, including the timely submission of all personnel paperwork, preparing and submitting reports, and monitoring sales receipts and cash
- Monitor stock and inventory, and perform quality assurance of merchandise on a regular basis - ensuring healthy shrinkage levels and proper turn of inventory
- Own difficult or emotional guest situations, ensuring optimal outcome and guest satisfaction
- Execution of marketing activation, store awareness tactics, events and promotions
- Development of VIP clientele through dedicated GHX staff member(s)
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- 5 or more years of retail experience leading others
- College degree or equivalent preferred
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers and employees
- Ability to manager store volume up to ten million dollars
- Ability to maneuver around the sales floor, stock room, and office
- Ability to lift/carry 30 lbs
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including travel, to meet the needs of the business including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to travel as required
- Business Acumen skills
- Established time management skills
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Seek it. Find it. Send it. That’s our mantra. We help customers seek the perfect gear for their backcountry, find their awe, and send it their way. Through our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—we aim to give our customers the gear, knowledge, and inspiration they need to chase down life’s greatest moments. We foster local communities in our expanding retail stores, and we’re actively creating a more inclusive and equitable outdoor environment for all through our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives.
We’re a company of Gearheads and we offer personalized expertise at every level of the organization. This means we offer the best assortment of premium gear and apparel, a top-notch shopping experience, personalized Gearhead advice, super-fast and accurate fulfillment, and aspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take growth and personal fulfillment seriously. For our employees—aka, our Herd—this means career growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. We offer perks like a crazy-awesome gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office. When you join the Backcountry Herd, you join a crew that is passionate about their jobs and equally stoked on the outdoors. Pre-dawn skin track laps are the norm, lunch break MTB rides are our sustenance, and you’ll regularly find coworkers hitting the crag together post work. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, Flexible Spending or Health Savings Account.