Manager of Direct Mail
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
About the Role:
The Manger of Direct Mail will be responsible for driving the development of the direct mail channel at Backcountry.com. In close coordination with the retention marketing lead, analytics, merchandising, creative, integrated marketing and other key stakeholders, this role will craft the strategy behind, and implementation of an industry-leading direct mail program designed to retain consumers via catalog and strategic mailers distributed at key times throughout the year.
- In conjunction with retention marketing lead and key stakeholders, responsible for growing the nascent direct mail channel at Backcountry.com
- Create and execute a yearly direct mail plan which will show timeline, key deliverables, stakeholder responsibilities, budget, projected investment/return, creative vision and product stories
- Act as the key point of contact for all vendors associated with direct mail efforts including strategic agency, printers, co-op’s, etc.
- Refine process for direct mail pieces, operate within defined timelines and ensure adherence to process amongst stakeholders in a large cross-functional team
- Use subject matter expertise to inform tactical execution of all direct mail pieces. Provide key thought leadership to drive innovation in this space
- Write excellent, informative briefs to guide the development of engaging, powerful creative that tells the story of the Backcountry brand with our consumers
- Work closely with the retention marketing analyst to measure the effectiveness of all initiatives and identify opportunities to grow the channel
- Identify key product stories to tell, partnering with our merch team to elevate stories that will resonate with our consumer in this channel
- Manage the budget for all direct mail initiatives. Ensure all projects are finished on-budget and in as efficient a manner as possible.
We’re Looking For:
- Subject-matter expert in direct mail and catalog marketing with between 3-5 years of hands-on experience
- Willingness to experiment and push the envelope in new, disruptive and innovative ways
- Superior project management skills
- Extremely knowledgeable about direct mail trends and competitive analysis
- Well versed in common direct mail benchmarks and measurement strategies
- Strong communicator with proven experience presenting to senior leadership, highly analytical, problem solver
- College degree minimum, MBA is considered a plus
What we offer:
- A career with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily.
- Perks such as an excellent gear discount, a fun work environment (incl. an annual adventure contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office).
- Work with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors.
- Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance,
- Paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.