Director, Technical Operations (Remote)
POSITION TITLE: Director of Technical Operations
REPORTS TO: VP of Technology
DEPARTMENT: Tech Ops
Backcountry is looking for an outstanding Director of Technical Operations, who will be responsible for ensuring technology innovation, strategy, roadmaps and high availability of the company’s infrastructure (includes but not limited to datacenter, cloud , fulfillment centers, stores, etc). This critical role will give you the opportunity to innovate & scale the infrastructure team and services in a fast growing business. It will also provide you a unique opportunity to migrate datacenter workloads to cloud & build best in class cloud operations, site reliability, shared services & End user engineering teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leader of Infrastructure across the organization.
- Responsible for infrastructure stack in datacenter and cloud, DevOps & Collaboration tools, Observability Stack & End User engineering teams.
- Owns, manages and delivers the innovation, strategy, roadmaps and associated projects in our production environment with close collaboration and alignment with business leadership teams
- Planning and implementation of infrastructure technologies (data center, cloud, fulfilment, call center and stores)
- Analyze, implement, and manage effective improvements in the maintenance and operations processes and Infrastructure.
- Own & govern company’s Incident, Problem, Change and Release Management processes.
- Drive the cloud migration journey for all backcountry websites & rollout DevOps best practices.
- Drive roadmap and consolidation of Observability stack.
- Drive adoption of container platforms in cloud.
- Manage the team responsible for the installation, maintenance and operation of server, storage and other hardware.
- Recommend the purchase of equipment needed to sustain responsive services and cost-effective operations.
- Ensure all project & support activities comply with company's process standards and apply methodologies to assure a firm delivery of security and audit requirements.
- Ensure 24x7 support for operations where applicable.
- Manage Capital Investment Proposals and required approval processes for all projects.
- Provides technology advisory services and actively cooperates in project planning, budget planning and management.
- Mentors team such that they can run daily operations with minimal supervision.
- Develop both the technical capabilities and leadership qualities of individual contributors.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Experience running and maintaining a 24x7 Internet-oriented production environment, across multiple data centers, cloud, fulfillment & stores involving thousands of servers.
- Detailed and extensive knowledge in the application of information technology principles, concepts, theory, and practice as well as comprehensive project leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordinating workloads to meet established deadlines.
- A solid grasp of networking, data center, and application fundamentals, preferably including previous hands-on experience.
- Must be able to resolve highly complex and diverse management and technical problems.
- Must be able to serve as spokesperson on information technology projects.
- Excellent communication, leadership, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required to enable an effective interface with others.
- Customer focused, must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment, and able to work extended hours and travel as required.
- Demonstrate solid experience improving and maintaining the reliability and performance of both internal and publicly facing web infrastructure, online services, data center services, network and compute infrastructures.
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.