POSITION TITLE: Merchant, Men’s
REPORTS TO: Senior Merchant, Men’s
BUSINESS/COMPANY/DEPARTMENT: Soft Goods
LOCATION: Park City
Our Backcountry merchants are responsible for curating a best-in-class assortment and achieving the financial goals within their Merchandise Division (MD). We empower you to set and implement a purchase plan which allows us to exceed all financial goals. If you want a fast-paced work environment with the opportunity to buy the gear you love, this could be your job!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assortment Selection: Develops strategic direction for the assortment including key items, big ideas, growth areas, and category/brand mix with omni-channel in mind. Identifies and on boards new brands. Keeps assortment fresh and leading within the industry.
- Business Management: Owns revenue, margin, inventory, receipt flow, and in-stocks levels for MD. Develops and executes strategies to drive the business.
- Inventory Management: Manages the Open to Buy (OTB), hind sighting SKU/Category performance, establishes Preseason PO Receipt Flow, Preseason inventory allocation, set in season sell-through targets, manages Return to Vendor (RTV) and mark-down dollar requests with vendor, and ensures inventory management strategy aligned with Companywide financial goals
- Vendor Negotiations: Negotiates terms, pricing policies, promotional periods, image use, etc. Represents Backcountry in vendor meetings.
- Marketing Inputs: Communicates key items and themes for season, brainstorms/hind-sights promo concepts and reacts to performance, identifies risks in promotional calendar and building back-ups
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- 3-5 years of Merchandising experience, Outdoor experience a plus
- Outstanding time management skills: ability to meet deadlines and exercise judgement under pressure
- Excellent organizational skills and extreme attention to detail
- Clear ability to communicate business results, must be solution-oriented
- Excellent presentation skills and strong negotiation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel a must)
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.