POSITION TITLE: Operations Engineer
LOCATION: West Valley City, UT
Backcountry is expanding our best-in-class fulfillment team with the addition of an Operations Engineer. An Operations Engineer at Backcountry will play a key role in the design, development, and delivery of fulfillment systems and processes. Backcountry utilizes a changing mix of manual process, MHE, and automation to fulfill customer orders same-day and we are always looking for ways to improve. The Operations Engineer reports to the Sr Mgr Supply Chain and will work with internal and external partners to analyze, propose and drive capex & six sigma projects, ensuring optimized logistics at Backcountry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads Process Improvement initiatives including 5S, root cause analysis, six sigma, and time & motion studies to eliminate losses within Fulfillment operation
- Supports Fulfillment Managers with programs, projects, associate engagement, and KPI improvements
- Monitor customer experience, operational and financial fulfillment or transport KPIs, and identifies opportunities and projects for improvement
- Conduct on-site observations, analysis, and create real-time reports to measure the current operations processes.
- Communicate project status, effectively answer project questions, and produce clear and concise summaries for the projects you own to leadership
- Champion Backcountry’s core values through your actions
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- BS/BA degree in Engineering or 5+ years experience in similar engineering role
- Six Sigma Certification
- Ability to lead time & motion studies to develop and maintain multi-variable labor standards
- Excellent track record identifying and leading projects across multiple facilities
- Proven ability to organize, prioritize and deliver on multiple assignments under tight deadlines
- Excellent communication skills, both in oral or written communication, and ability to communicate across varying levels of leadership
- Willing to work flexible work hours to accommodate business needs
- Strong PC skills required
- 3+ Years Experience in Process Design/Improvement
- Project Management
- Experience using CAD
- Knowledge of simulation tools
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.